• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

$80 front brake replacement. Good stuff?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
Normally i order my brakes from summit or rockauto but what I usually get is over my budget. I am currently unemployed so I have to get what I can to fix my rotors that don't have much rotor surface remaining.

I checked out advance auto's website and they have a save $20 on orders $100 or more and also free shipping on orders $75+. Here's what I came up with:

Wearever Brake Rotor: $34 Each Discount: -$13.47 Total: $54.51
All Wearever rotors meet original equipment standards for form, fit and function.

Product Features:
  • OE designs for reliable cooling; proper harmonic design helps to reduce brake noise
  • Machined and balanced for immediate "out of the box" installation (after cleaning)
  • Non-directional finish for less break-in time and reduced brake noise
  • Manufactured to exacting quality and dimensional specifications
----------------------------------------------

Wearever Gold brake pads: $30.99 Discount -$6.14 Total: $24.85
Wearever brakes are precision engineered to exceed original equipment performance and provide short stopping distances for everyday driving, towing or hauling.

Product Features:

• Free of antimony, lead and cadmium per current OE requirements
  • Original-equipment-style brakes for maximum stopping power
  • Semi-metallic formulations for low dust and clean wheels
--------------------------------------------

Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake parts Lube $2

This 100% synthetic lubricant contains real ceramic solids for extreme performance under critical braking conditions. With its purple, environmentally friendly, nonmelting formula, this premium lubricant is a long-lasting, temperature-resistant way to silence brake noise such as squealing and chattering. Also effective in preventing long bolt and sleeve seizing and galling.

I had to add the lube cuz the total was $98 something and I needed $100+. Total for all this with the discount is $80.96 shipped. Before I order em, I want to make sure they are decent enough to stop my 32's.

So....order? don't order? stay away!!?? lol

thanks

have the exact same set-up on my DD and have no complaints. I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with 32" tires as well.

looks like a decent price- way to play the discounts!!

P.S. if they're all in stock, you can use the discounts on-line and still pick them up at your local store-- no waiting on shipping that way. The only thing they can't do is add the discount if you buy them in-store:tear:

have the exact same set-up on my DD and have no complaints. I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with 32" tires as well.

looks like a decent price- way to play the discounts!!

P.S. if they're all in stock, you can use the discounts on-line and still pick them up at your local store-- no waiting on shipping that way. The only thing they can't do is add the discount if you buy them in-store:tear:

Oh that's cool. I didn't know you could pick up the order in store. Neat. Thanks for that tip and your experience with those parts. :)

Wearever rotors are crap. Get the Wagners- they won't warp as fast.

Wagner is definitely a higher end product, but I've had excellent service life out of the Wearever rotors on everything I've used them on. If you are unsure of a rotor's quality, one quick check is weight (obviously not the only method)-- if it weighs any less than the high end ones, it's suspect.

The only vehicle I refused to install the Wearevers on was an '87 B-body (Caprice) since the Bendix rotor seemed about twice as heavy and that vehicle was known to have poor ventilation to cool them.

The only problem I've had with super cheepo rotors is that they get surface rust on them after a day or two of sitting. Leave it sit for a week, and the brakes will make a rubbing sound until the rust gets worn off again. Only takes one or two stops, but I always wonder if the rust is getting into the brake pad surfaces.

OP, If you have a NAPA Auto Parts or something similar, their premium rotors are good stuff and about the same price as what you have listed.

Guys, you don'y know how lucky you are: My first set of pads (unknown U.S. brand - but made in China - cost me about $55 & lasted 5,000 miles, just replace them with some totally anonymous ones on which I thought I'd done a deal at, say, $45 when I was quoted £70 (that's $100+) for a pair of discs (sorry, rotors).

I'll be picking up a couple of sets of pads when I'm over in May (by which time I expect to have had to replace them at least once) but I'm not sure bringing rotors home in one's hand luggage is viable.

I replaced my brakes with the Advance stuff and I guess I can say I'm pleased. The rotors were actually pretty darn heavy and pads were quality built, not cheap looking like some other pads I've seen in the past. It stops my 32's pretty fast so I'm good now.

Thanks

Back