• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad Box???

cherokeelovee

NAXJA Forum User
:confused: Ok I have a 2001 sport (stock) with about 110,000 miles on it and I have a lot of slop in my steering, and sometimes a squeek when I turn hard, I have also had a bad case of D.W. at about 70 miles an hour , I tightened the adjustment nut on the top of the steering gear box and rotated the tires which seemed to help no more D.W. but still a shake... so my question is do you think my gear box is shot or is it something else? When I looked at the front end most of the slop seemed to be coming from the gear box ,,
confused.gif
Do I buy a new gear box-400$, or I have been looking at a kevinsoffroad D.W. kit with comes with trac bar , steering brace and steering stabilizer 486$ future plans are to add a 3.5 lift.. funds are limeted right now... any sugestions would be apreciated​

The squeak and slop can be caused by the following:
The XJ is known to have a problem with steering box bolts loosening up due to the aluminum inside mounting bracket wearing out over time. This could cause cracks in the uniframe bolt holes if the bolts are not tightened and the aluminum mount replaced.

Just over $100 for a rebuilt box from NAPA, after you take your core back. Mine wasn't making noise, but it would wander all over the road. New box cured that.

Back