• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering

devilstoy

NAXJA Forum User
i need to get rid of this rugged ridge crap steering asap , i been lookin at currie and not sure i want that , i like the jcr otk set up , i also looked into the u turn steering but i have rcv axles and i dont think that set up will work , i have a 7" lift and have a dana 30 in the front , i want something with 1 ton tre that i can go to a local auto parts store to buy replacements if needed , iron rock off road one looks ok but im not that sure about that one , im really leaning towards the jcr set up , who has it and what exactly is needed to be done for install ? i also have a rustys hd track bar , will this still work ?

Last edited:
I have the JCR OTK/OTA setup. It was weird at first, it had the notorious dead spot at the top but once you get the alignment correct (toe at 0 and caster btw 5-7*) and tightened up the over center adjustment on the steering box it's been fine ever since. I don't ever use the poly spacers anymore under the ends that everyone cries about it just works no quirks at all. If your going to go OTK you have to go OTA with the track bar or the tie rod will hit the track bar bracket. You'll need to remove the stock track bar bracket and clearance the coil buckets a little as well. I don't run a steering stabilizer or a sway bar on mine but if you wanted to run either one you'll need to redo the mounts for them too so the rods will clear. It seems like a lot of work but once it's done it's bombproof setup, much higher and stronger than stock. I love mine.

I have the JCR OTK/OTA setup. It was weird at first, it had the notorious dead spot at the top but once you get the alignment correct (toe at 0 and caster btw 5-7*) and tightened up the over center adjustment on the steering box it's been fine ever since. I don't ever use the poly spacers anymore under the ends that everyone cries about it just works no quirks at all. If your going to go OTK you have to go OTA with the track bar or the tie rod will hit the track bar bracket. You'll need to remove the stock track bar bracket and clearance the coil buckets a little as well. I don't run a steering stabilizer or a sway bar on mine but if you wanted to run either one you'll need to redo the mounts for them too so the rods will clear. It seems like a lot of work but once it's done it's a bombproof setup, much higher and stronger than stock. I love mine.
Oops so much for my attempts at editing my post, oh well.

i run the JCR OTK. i like it, its proven strong. i ran it without remounting my tracbar above the axle for about a year. yeah it had bumpsteer but it wasnt wicked. but i had a superflex joint laying around so i built a new tracbar and decided to just remount it at the same time. now there is 0 bumpsteer.
359601494.jpg

IMG_2289.jpg

i made that 1.25 jcr tie rod look like an "S" after 3 days of rausch. still have the jcr setup but ended up calling ballistic and getting a 7075 1.5" tie rod made up for it.
jeep002-2.jpg

I hate to say this to a guy, but I really like your rod!

Looks beefy.

looks good and im getting good ideas , whats anyone think of the terra flex highsteer knuckle ? and i was thinking of building my own tie rod and drag link it will be cheaper then buying there whole kit

looks good and im getting good ideas , whats anyone think of the terra flex highsteer knuckle ? and i was thinking of building my own tie rod and drag link it will be cheaper then buying there whole kit

Stick all the WJ stuff on it, OTK, OTA, custom steering links... viola!

I use the stock knuckles with my JCR steering. I didn't go for the tera knuckle because it was way too much money and the stock ones are holding up fine so far.

I just ordered the Ballistic Fab chevy 1 ton kit, it looks very strong (1 1/2 .250 wall). I had the Curry set up but with about 7in. of lift it seemed to have alot of bumpsteer. We will see when I get it all installed.

I just ordered the Ballistic Fab chevy 1 ton kit, it looks very strong (1 1/2 .250 wall). I had the Curry set up but with about 7in. of lift it seemed to have alot of bumpsteer. We will see when I get it all installed.
now that kit you just buy and pretty much have to adapt it to your vehicle right ? whats all involved ? i was looking into that set up but havent talked to anyone who has it ona jeep

you need to cut your rods to length, weld in you tubing adapters and ream your knuckles and pitman arm.
thats not to bad , and it comes to set up for regular under the knuckle right ? if you want otk you gotta buy those adapters and pretty much do everything to install the jcr set up

you might have to ask them before you order. the passenger tre has to be reamed i dont know if they do it for you but it needs to reamed different for each. in order to go otk you need to shorten and raise your track bar and weld in longer links to hook up your sway bar. you can ream your knuckles from the top as long as they havent already been reamed for utk. then you would need the weld in sleeves.

sway bars are over rated lol mine havent been hooked up at all in months , i know they sell a insert for otk that you need to drill the knuckle straight thru and put it in the insert , that seems to be the way they explain , im just wanna get a new steering set up period it dont need to be over the knuckle , i have no problems with the cross over set up i have now except the tie rod ends are garbage

I had the JCR setup under the knuckle at first and it got trashed everytime I wheeled it, bent rods and ends got old fast. I eventually went with the full conversion and haven't looked back. Getting the steering up out of the rocks is one of the advantages (or should be) of upgrading the steering system. Cheaping out or trying to take the easy way out has never worked out for me once on any project yet. I always wind up getting burned and paying twice as much to do it right anyway. Just saying, spending that much money and still going UTK seems silly, if you want to stay UTK just get a HD tie rod and replace the ends.

sway bars are over rated lol mine havent been hooked up at all in months , i know they sell a insert for otk that you need to drill the knuckle straight thru and put it in the insert , that seems to be the way they explain , im just wanna get a new steering set up period it dont need to be over the knuckle , i have no problems with the cross over set up i have now except the tie rod ends are garbage

yeah i have the ballistic inserts. you drill a 1" hole thru the knuckle and weld the insert in. i had to do this because i went under the knuckle first

I had the JCR setup under the knuckle at first and it got trashed everytime I wheeled it, bent rods and ends got old fast. I eventually went with the full conversion and haven't looked back. Getting the steering up out of the rocks is one of the advantages (or should be) of upgrading the steering system. Cheaping out or trying to take the easy way out has never worked out for me once on any project yet. I always wind up getting burned and paying twice as much to do it right anyway. Just saying, spending that much money and still going UTK seems silly, if you want to stay UTK just get a HD tie rod and replace the ends.

i went with the utk jcr setup first, one weekend at trausch and it was trashed.

Back