• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disabled O2 sensor after catalytic converter

99xjblk

NAXJA Forum User
I found a damage wire harness tonight that leads to the second O2 sensor...the one right after the catalytic converter. I seem to recall reading on here that you can unplug that one and not have any issues. Is that correct?

I found a damage wire harness tonight that leads to the second O2 sensor...the one right after the catalytic converter. I seem to recall reading on here that you can unplug that one and not have any issues. Is that correct?

Not have *any* issues is incorrect. You will get a CEL with a code to indicate a problem with O2 Sensor #2. If you have emissions testing or state inspection, the CEL will likely result in failure.

You can easily repair the wiring.

replace the plug, costs maybe $100 and... no codes, no possible ECU problems causing poor fuel economy, and you have a vehicle that runs properly the way it was designed.
worst case, check a wrecker and pull a used one.

What type of damage did you find?
Instead of disconnecting the O2 sensor, how about fixing the the harness?
Damaged wires can be cut out and easily replaced.
If the sensor wasn't needed, it wouldn't be there.

shouldn't cost more than ten or twenty bucks to fix right by splicing the wires or splicing in a new one from the junkyard. Heck I would bet on it costing five or ten. I'll pay that kind of money to get rid of a check engine light any day, that way if it comes on I know it's for an actual issue.

I only disconnected it temporarily to see if I would get a check engine light.......I didn't get the light but didn't run long either.....the rear is on jack stands right now. I plan on cutting out the bad section of harness and splicing in new wires....I agree the sensor has a purpose or it wouldn't be there. Sorry my response took so long my account was down for awhile.

Back