• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP with motor mounts

zj to xj

NAXJA Forum User
ok I searched and planned, but maybe I am missing something
I have a 1994 xj 2 dr
5 spd manual
129,000 miles
the motor mount to engine braket sheered the bolts of in the block. Now I have done a lot of research on the site to prepare for this.
what the hell.
I have let pb blaster for a week and a half
I went and bought a proto easy out
and a reverse twist drill bit.
'I bought the tightes (smallest radius ) 90 drill I could find.
I have removed the motor mount and the bracket.
How in the hell do I get the right angle drill in there to drill out the bolts ?????
Do I approach it from the bottom or do I remove the compressor and hit it from the top ????
I cant seem to get an even remotely straight shot anywhere???

I took both the mounts loose, supported the motor, then lowered it so I had a better angle. First I tried to "tap" the bolts out with a punch, I got one out that way. The other 2 had to be extracted. My buddy works for Lockheed and has some low profile drills that made the job easy.

Check this link for the drill ($629.00 ouch!!)

http://www.skygeek.com/a1310ah.html

I got 2 out from the top & 1 from the bottom. Just used the jack to move the motor up & down. JIM.

I took both mounts loose and lowered the motor as low as it would go. I still couldnt get at them. I then gave up took it to the dealer and they spent anhour doing essentially the same thing charged me 88 bucks and said they couldnt do it. They said the motor will have to come out (700 bucks). I need help guys

zj to xj said:
I took both mounts loose and lowered the motor as low as it would go. I still couldnt get at them. I then gave up took it to the dealer and they spent anhour doing essentially the same thing charged me 88 bucks and said they couldnt do it. They said the motor will have to come out (700 bucks). I need help guys

Ouch!!!! You may have already done this but since you know what the problem is, could you call around to some local non-dealer shops to see if somone will take on the challenge for less? If you tell them the dealer couldn't do it that miight charge them up. Have you decided what you're willing to spend? Is this your daily driver or a project car that can sit for awhile until you find a good solution?

Back