• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mods

joejeep92

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I know the 4.0 isn't this incredible powerhouse but...what have you guys done to increase horsepower in them? I'm running a 92 4-door sport 5-speed 4.0. K&N intake, throttle body spacer, ignition control module. What basic stuff are you guys doing to squeeze a little more power out of your motor?

You might try searching over in the "Street and Performance" forum

try the street&performance section, but I would change to a header, enlarge the downpipe and a good flowing catback and a 2000 intake swap..

Very few things give a measurable gain. A different cam is probably the biggest bang for the buck, followed by minor gains with headers, exhaust and larger throttle body. Beyond that the next step is a stroker.

Stroke It!

agreed

Very few things give a measurable gain. A different cam is probably the biggest bang for the buck, followed by minor gains with headers, exhaust and larger throttle body. Beyond that the next step is a stroker.

and agreed

Im getting ready to build my stroker right now and im anxious to get it done and feel the extra power.

double up that throttle body spacer.

The 4.0 makes plenty of power for most off road uses. As mentioned, gearing will give you more bang for the buck. If you want to retain good cruising RPM's but still have a low ratio for off roading then look at the Tera 4:1 low range kit.

I agree that correct gearing is very important, but the question was about changing the 4.0L. Now for the Tera4Lo kit. Before you buy, ask around. Several people complain about excessive noise and a buddy has had to replace his twice. Be careful about getting a crawl ratio that is too high. You may find yourself having to shift out of low range to keep up with your buddies on many trails.

Well I'm not looking for a street rig or nothing. I use it for mild offroad use a little mud here and there and the day to day of getting me to my house and back on unmaintained roads no matter the weather or season. I just am never really satisfied...I love the 4.0. Best motor I have ever used for a dd. I just like having a little bit more...

Plus I don't want to do too much gearing because as I said I want it to still have a good crawling ability in 4low while maintaining good dd status.

READ THIS BEFORE SPENDING MONEY: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...iter_engine_myth_busting_true_lies/index.html

Dollar for dollar, a free flowing CAT-back system and re-gearing will get you the most bang for the buck.
X2 on this, putting bigger tires on your jeep will lower your gear ratio to the point that the jeep can't get up enough rpm's to make any power, especially on the highway. There's nothing wrong with your motor and it will make more than enough HP and torque for a unibody vehicle. The problem is people think they can slap on a lift and big tires and be done, not so, a complete lift installation will include matching the gear ratio to the intended tires size, the job is only half done. If all you want is to just look like you have a badass jeep then fine but if you really want to have one your going to have to pony up the cash for the gear install. I also really liked the improvement from catback system/bored TB combo but not as much as the gears.

Last edited:
Back