• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PSC Steering Boxes?

twistedlizard720

NAXJA Forum User
My Steering gear has bit the dust.....again. The original was replaced last October. I had it replaced with a factory unit by the dealer for warranty purposes. I took it in yesterday and they are saying the shaft the pitman arm is on is toast. It would fall under the 12 month warranty except its a 12 month/12000 mile deal, and I've gone 12502 miles. So they may not honor the warranty.

My position right now is swinging to buy a new HD steering box, if they can't do the warranty. I don't need to get too crazy (I'm only on 31's). I've been looking at a PSC Box and am curious about peoples experience with them. How is the durability, operation, ect?

So far my PSC box and pump has worked great. It has a taller ratio but gave me steering that is one finger. It has about 10K of off-road miles.

I've been looking at a PSC Box and am curious about peoples experience with them. How is the durability, operation, ect?

After having two remanufactured boxes (from Napa and Carquest) go bad, two years ago. I installed a PSC Extreme Series box and matching pump and have no regrets.
The box is a large piston model, rebuilt from an early 80's full size GM car and has great power and has held up well.
The bad new is that PSC does not sell this box anymore, replacing it with a more expensive 'NEW' box.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/-SG061R-80-02-HD-Jeep-Steering-Gear-w-Cylinder-Assist-Ports-NEW.html
When installing a large piston box, you will need to space it away from the frame more to provide room for the increased width.

What exactly is wrong with your steering box? If it's just leaking from the pitman arm or anywhere else you can replace the seals for under $20. If it needs a new bearing that's only maybe $10 more. No need for a $500 steering box. I still have the stock box and I wheel on 35's. If you want a bigger box buy one for a 98 durango v8 w/ plow package, it's bigger and it bolts right in. Lots of threads over on JeepForum about those.

What exactly is wrong with your steering box? If it's just leaking from the pitman arm or anywhere else you can replace the seals for under $20. If it needs a new bearing that's only maybe $10 more. No need for a $500 steering box. I still have the stock box and I wheel on 35's. If you want a bigger box buy one for a 98 durango v8 w/ plow package, it's bigger and it bolts right in. Lots of threads over on JeepForum about those.

I have tried buying the pitman shaft bearing but have not been able to find one. The input shaft bearing, thrust bearing and seal kits are available through Rock Auto and other suppliers.
Both of the rebuilt boxes available locally, that I tried, had loose pitman shaft bearings right out of the box. Typical rebuilt crap.

West Texas off-road will sell you rebuild kits with all the seals and bearings you well need.
Thanks, I will give them a call.

anybody run a YJ box? was thinking of heading to the junkyard tomorrow and picking one up, sick of the variable ratio.

I know this has been done/said before,but I am extremely happy with what I run.It is a PS gear box from a 89-90 ish camaro/firebird quick ratio,less than 3 turns lock to lock.No issues with power either I run 35's Most people do not know it is actually the spool valve inside the box that gives the "one-finger" turning.Mine does not have that in it just stock,but if it needs rebuilding I will go to the j Yard and get a box from a mid 70's GM car Caddy ,olds ,buick etc... and use the spool valve from that box.It steers fine even stock.It is a bolt in.There is a small piece protruding from the input spline that I cut off,if it interferes with the steering shaft.By the way I got one from a J-yard 6 years ago-no leaks.You can not trust autozone,advanced,napa gears they all come from the same place-crappy rebuilds.

Back