• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems removing rear brake line (clip), tips needed

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm installing a longer rear brake hose/line now that I'm tackling the rest of my lift, however, I cant for the life of me figure out how to remove the clip that holds the metal fitting on the OE rubber hose to the bracket welded to the chassis. I managed to get the hard line disconnected, but can't get the retaining clip to budge. This is a 2001 XJ.

Any tips?! Thanks a ton in advance!

Looking closer, it doesn't even look like the collar on the new SS line will even fit into any of the 3 slots on the chassis bracket, even if I do get the old one removed... Am I overlooking something here?

It should just pull off, may need a little lube if your in an area that salts the roads.

Wayne

IIRC the clip is made of spring steel.
Spray the metal with a penetrant and you will see a 90* L shaped lip where you can apply leverage.
Take a flat tipped screwdriver and tap against the small lip on the spring clip and the clip should slide out from between the fitting and mounting bracket.

Simple really,take a pair of side cutters grip the 90* lip and work it back and forth while pulling outward away from line...works every time any car.

_______/ ------>>

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips... I'd tried those routes but to no avail.

In the end, PB Blaster and a chisel driven by a hammer got it to budge, then I pried it off with a screwdriver (using the corner of the frame rail as a fulcrum). Much grunting and some bloody knuckles later, it's off. Looks like rust had effectively tack welded it to the bracket.

Thanks again!

Back