• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241/231 similarity question

chedisme

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
ok so I am slowly accumulating parts for a 231-300 box4rocks doubler.

my question is does anyone know if I can use the front section of a 241 instead of a 231.

a guy very local to me is selling one.

I would think the low range portion of the 241 is the same as the 231, and it would work. but I dont want to waste my money on something I cant use.

thanks in advance guys.

NOPE!How are you planning on dealing with the "much" shortened driveline?

I believe the 241 case is physically larger than the 231. I didn't measure the two when I did my swap however. Just going from memory.

From what I've read the length of the low range portion(front half) of the 231 attached to the 300 is only 1-2 inches longer then a compleat 231.

And RCP, I wouldent say it altered the rear drive line "much". It messes with the front alittle more.

Ok so the 241 is a no go. Maybe ill just buy it and swap it for the 231 I have in my XJ. And use my 231 for the Box4Rocks setup

From what I've read the length of the low range portion(front half) of the 231 attached to the 300 is only 1-2 inches longer then a compleat 231.

IIRC, a 231/300 setup with D300 yokes puts it about an inch shorter then a stock 231. With 231 yokes on, its brings it to about 1/4" shorter overall. Over on Pirate, theres a nice TOTM about doubler setups in the Cherokee section that has some lengths and numbers.

sorry I guess i got it longer confused with shorter.

but its still not what I would consider a "much shortened drive line"

and I just realized I said 241. I ment 242. the select-trak case.

I don't think that will work, but you can use the chain and planetary out of a 241 in the 231. It has 6 gears instead of three so it should be stronger.

Back