• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroking distributorless 4.0L

tjinnisbanshee

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to build a stroker engine for my 2000 XJ. i have the 4.2l crank but i need to purchase an engine to rebuild. i have questions on what changes they made to the block and heads to determine what will work in my application. ive seen alot of people stroke the older 4.0 and how they tuned them but nothing on the newer ignition and fuel system.

I have a 2k. 91 head, stroker. Everything is the same but in my case (91 head) no mounting for the coil packs. Not a biggie. Indexing the CPS (the Not-a-distributor) is a bit tricky. Post again or search when you get to that point. All parts from all years will work.
Just verify your towns smog laws and how picky they might be. here in Kollifornia some places check block numbers if they see mods. Our 4.0's have dates on them and placing an older engine in a newer chassi (even tho the same engine) is a big no-no.
No probs on the ignition. Strong enough for our needs. Keep copper plugs same heat range, same gap. Platnum are crap in our engines ( personal experience). Fuel system is also debateable by some. I went with the larger 25lbs injectors. No other mods and computer figured it out. I get 16.6 mpg highway and 15's street on 89 octain. I did make an adjustable MAP sensor but never installed it because I could not afford the real A/F meters. Plug coloring seems fine.

REal good helpfull links:
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/

Injecors:
http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm
(had to call him on specifics on injectors not listed and was VERY helpful)

Ditto
I used my block and coil pack on the stroker build (95 head ported and looking good). No issues with lack of spark that I can see and I have no issues with power. I run 87 all the time and get a steady 15 or so mpg (3.55 gears until today)
I went with ford mustang 24 lb/hr injectors

Back