• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hatch wiring broke....

moparjim1987

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone with a 97 & up xj have this problem? when i first got the truck, the 3rd brake light and the power lock for the hatch didnt work. Then the wiper, and finally the liscense plate light gave up the ghost. Well, was re-locating the liscense plate on sunday when putting on my tire carrier, and found out that all but like 3 wires were broken apart between the body and hatch. (i rigged them together for now so i have a liscense plate light....) My question is, if i go to a p-n-p and get another harness, will it end up doing the same thing in a few months? Or should i just splice in new lengths of wire to fix the one I have? thanks for looking

I removed the rear trim and fished as much of it out and got it as loose as possible, then just spliced in new wires to give some slack. Everything has been working fine since.

My question is, if i go to a p-n-p and get another harness, will it end up doing the same thing in a few months? Or should i just splice in new lengths of wire to fix the one I have? thanks for looking

Broken wires in the hatch and doors is common. I have repaired the speakers’ wires in both front doors, where the wire passes through the rubber bellows.
I would splice in new wire. Try to find flexible wire with as many strands a possible. Last time I use test probe wire, about the most flexible and long lasting wire available.

Back