• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flipn a Yo

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so you guys are probably wondering what the hell thread this is...well it has to do with steering. First off I've decided to go with Currie Steering, I've been looking and looking and settled on that. I've looked at fabbing my own stuff, Genright and a few other brands that you can fab to fit or bolt in with some mods like JCR. Any one on here run Currie with any problems, clearance issues or service life complaints? I was going to drill out the drivers side and flip it like I've seen other guys do. With that being said how about tie rod inserts...thats what I'm really trying to find. I know Go-Fer-It has them but I havent had luck getting a hold of anyone to place an order. Anyone know any other companies that make them? I think Terraflex makes one right, but its got a slit in it, anyone know whats up with that? One last thing, on 4.5 inches of lift who runs what pitman drop? Any at all and can I use the same dropped pitman if I go up to 6.5ish inches of lift later on? Anyone know how much a ZJ pitman drops your steering? Anyway, anyones 2 cents will help. So far with all the great Rustys stuff I've gotten over the years I'm sad to say their steering is very lame and I'm going to happily replace it soon:explosion Rustys is a great company and they have great service but my steering is small and always wears out tie rods...and is a total be-otch to align. Can some one :read: me?

i have never run currie, 3 or 4 local jeeps here in CO have, and absolutely despise it, almost all have sold for something else, and one went back to stock just to get rid of it...

its all in the setup and use...the guys/and gal i know who used the setup all run about 6" of lift and wheel on a lot of rocks....
from what ive heard the steering picks up a lot of roll and makes a dead spot, and better have the appropriate spares or you are SOL, but this is what ive been told as i have no experience personally with it...

i did see one guy tho who had the curie setup for about 2 weeks, and the first trail he went on, completely destroyed it, all the ends were shot and had bent the tie rod.
he was 33's open front locked reat and the trail didnt allow for heavy throttle, was just a rough flexy bindy rocky trail

For how crappy my Rustys stuff has been it actually worked out for the better one time, I was wheeling at Hollister and I got crossed up. To make a long story short I had ended up facing down hill pressed up against a rock and my steering was touching my DIFF COVER! haha, my buddy winched me off and it sprung back! I drove it home on a one hour highway ride and it was fine. Put it on my alignment rack and its been ok...its been that way for 6 months now and I haven't touched it. But yeah, its really flimsy steering and the geometry sucks pretty bad. It doesn't have a dead spot from what I can tell but it wastes tie rods because it trys to rotate every thing all the time rather then push and pull.

Search around and look at JCR and people's experience there and also Iron Rock's kit. Ballistic makes a good one as well, but requires some work on your part for the install from what I can tell. I might be wrong about that last part though.

I've run stock, then went to JCR tierod upgrade, then to Rock Krawler, now run Currie. The Currie is a great set-up, i'd do it again and heartily recommend it. -B

I run stock with a Big Daddy tie rod. I tend to bend drag links but I carry a spare and they are cheap at the JY, easy to replace after a day on the trail/before the drive home. I have no bump steer, and really no issues at all on 5.5" lift.

Back