• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ broken hatch lever repair

broken98

NAXJA Forum User
I've been able to fix alot of items on my XJ that would have been a big PITA without the posts from other forum members. Since others have been so helpful to me, I thought I'd add my experience in hopes of saving someone else from a little grief.

The lift handle on my hatch on my '98 XJ was not opening. For a while I was able to do the lift - twist - push method and could still access the hatch but after a while longer, I was shut out.

The photo below shows the inner working of the latch mechanism. The "threaded" rod on the right can be adjusted to actuate the latch but if the adjustment is too far out (worn), the pull lever can't actuate the hatch release.

IMG_0437.jpg

I considered removing the nuts of the latch receiver from under the rear of the Jeep but my hitch was in the way. Besides, I don't think this would really do much but make it loose, not open.

Since this is a '98, there is more plastic interior covering than older models. I think the older ones are easier to remedy but here's my experience:

To access the inner workings of the hatch, I had to crawl inside and remove the plastic panels. It's a hastle but be patient, remove the screws you can reach. I had to remove the panels in the rear/side, c-pillar, panel on the top of the opening and hatch itself. Be aware that you'll have to flex some of the bits to remove them. There are four screws across the top and two down each side next to the glass. I couldn't reach the lower ones behind the hatch lift but I put the gorilla grip to the panel and broke it free. The screw head is big enough to secure the panel after all is done but that's not too big of a price to pay. It takes a torx bit to remove the pull handle. The bigger portion of the hatch panel is held on with friction pins so pull gently and it will pull free of the door itself. I broke a small piece of the plastic but a little super-gue made it an easy fix.

After I got the hatch open and the cover removed, I adjusted the rod on the green clip and it functions perfectly from the outside.

Aside from being a daily driver, I occasionally use my XJ for trips to racetracks where I sometimes I sleep in the back. Since I had it all apart, I thought this would be a good time to make an interior latch.

I spent less than $5 at the hardware store for two feet of 1/16" cable, a loop and a few aluminum bits to secure the cable. To keep it out of the way, I glued on a little piece of velcro on the panel.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

I looped the actual release arm so if the exterior has a problem again, I'll be able to use the interior pull to gain access.

I hope it helps!

Thanks again to the other forum members who have really helped me out in the past.

I had the same problem on my rear hatch on my 98'. I took the latch assembly out and cleaned it and sprayed lube in it and it works like new now.

Clean it, lube it, adjust it, and put a zip tie or two on the "threaded" looking part in the upper right of the picture.

The handle mechanism is held in place by one bolt and the lock cylinder is held by one C clip. You can swap in a new handle in about 1/2 hour.

Back