• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tcase flex's/tappin my skid plate!

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a custom skid plate incorperated into my crossmember, my Tcase is just barely touching the skid plate, but it still vibrates against it, even when im on the freeway and hit bumps i can feel it tapping the plate, how bad is this cuz i know the Tcase is a fragile case itself.. am i safe wheelin this weekend or will i crack the case!
TJ

How do your motor mounts look? If they're worn, they'll let the engine/trans/xfr case twist in the frame.

Is the skid bolted to the cross member? Space it down with a stack of washers under the bolts until you can re-do it with a little more clearance.

Just shim the tranny up with some washers and call it good.

Shim the tranny, shim the crossmember....

All of which are work-around kluges.

Most probably the transmission mount/isolator is shot. The OEM variety is rubber which sags over time and also allows too much movement (two different issues!). You can shim but you would still have too much movement. I suggest the first point of interest is a new rubber mount; if you dont care about vibes, a poly one should provide a near-permanent fix. You may need to replace regularly if the clearance is very tight (maybe every few years) but at $20 so what.

Engine mounts? Maybe, but more probably a red herring. They can tilt the tranny lower if different height, but, its a secondary effect compared to trans mount.

To me the operative word here is "custom" skid plate. Who knows how it was made or when. Raising the tranny a little will cure it since it hits when at rest.

Back