• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting too old for this

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
Replaced a leaky radiator yesterday. My torx driver just spun around inside 3 of the 6 bolts that hold down the top plate (That the fan shroud connects to). They were filled with rust and corrosion. I ground the heads off thinking I could just get the remainder of the bolts off from the underside: Nope. So now the Jeep is put back together with a few less bolts (that I'm not too worried about) and everything is working properly except that the "check engine light" is on and the electric fan spins constantly! All my gauges are good after a test drive letting it heat up and there are no leaks so I'm not terribly concerned about it but geeze,... what could I possibly have done wrong? All I can figure is I spilled some coolant somewhere that it didn't belong and it just needs time to dry out. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

As I'm writing this, I did note is that there is a ground wire connected to one of the top plate bolts on the driver's side. I'm wondering what its for and if maybe its not making contact when I reconnected it or maybe I yanked it during the installation but I don't thinks so.

And yes I am getting to old for this. Living in the rust belt does not make this an easy pastime,... downright annoying.

Last edited:
coolant sensor disconnected?

If your talking about the sensor that runs the temp gauge, its working properly but thanks.

I thought that was the temp guage sensor. Its not? I'll be happy if you solved my issue.

On your 94 the gauge sender is the small white connector at the back of the head on the drivers side. The coolant sensor in the thermostat housing is for the computer, and if it's disconnected then the ECM will freak out, run the fan all the time, set a CEL, and the engine may also run rough.

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/index.html tells you how to pull the CEL code

Agree, check the wire to the CTS in the thermostat housing.

You guys nailed it. Opened the hood and there is was totally disconnected. It couldn't have been more obvious if it had yellow polkadots on it. Thank you so much.

Back