• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix PS pump reservoir leak

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
It has been years since I have had a power steering pump apart on an XJ. I have a nasty leak between the pump and the reservoir. Is there a gasket in there? Where can you pick one up?

Its an O-ring that seals the two.if you can pull it apart and match it .Local dealer only had a bag of O-rings that fit every PS pump ever put on a JEEP.Only needed 1 but the bag had about 15 sizes,big $$ for just 1 O-ring.

Wayne

I found a variety of sizes of Nitrile o-rings at NAPA. I still don't know which material is necessary for brake or P/S fluid. I'm pretty sure that Nitrile is everything-proof, but don't quote me.

The one I needed was 18 cents.

Last edited:
It has been years since I have had a power steering pump apart on an XJ. I have a nasty leak between the pump and the reservoir. Is there a gasket in there? Where can you pick one up?
Bringing this back after my search.

I couldn't find the "O" ring gasket either.
Tried NAPA, the local "mom & pop" parts house and even the dealer.
Nothing that matched was available.

Then I went to the local hardware store and picked up two for $.95 in the plumbing department . . .

Bringing this back after my search.

I couldn't find the "O" ring gasket either.
Tried NAPA, the local "mom & pop" parts house and even the dealer.
Nothing that matched was available.

Then I went to the local hardware store and picked up two for $.95 in the plumbing department . . .

What size were the o-rings that you got in the plumbing dept?

It turned out to be a split in the tank where they glued it together. The O ring was fine. Got a replacement and it split within a week as well. I changed over to a 95 Wrangler pump and an aluminum remote reservoir.

Back