• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting issue need help asap!

Boneless-Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
ok so I put a new motor in my jeep, fast forward . everything is hookied up and what not but what wires go where on my starter hooking the ground and pos up one way nets me a nasty click no rotation whatsoever,then the other it gets me a hot wire where the starter rotates all the time while the battery is hooked up any info guys ? or does this mean ive got the wrong ignition wire hooked on ?
1991 cherokee
4.0 ax-15
01 4.0

thanks !

Ok, from the battery positive terminal the main cable runs down and attaches to the large lug on the starter.

Ok, from the battery negative terminal the main cable runs down and mounts on a stud on the engine block around the distributor area.

There is one wire that runs down to the starter solenoid from the starter relay. That wire carries 12 volts to the solenoid to energize it when the key is in the START position.

I have the same problem right now with my XJ (2000). I just replaced the starter, hooked it all up and connected the neg. bat. terminal and the starter turns over. I replaced the ignition/start switch (advance auto p/n CS266) and the the same thing happens. But then I disconnected the wire from the battery that goes to the starter solenoid, and bypassed the ignition switch. I ran a cable from the battery to a toggle switch, back to the starter solenoid. I then hooked the neg. bat. cable back up and the starter didn't run (that's good). But now when I get the Jeep started it sounds like the starter bendix stays engaged with the fly wheel.

Last edited:
I disconnected the wire from the battery that goes to the starter solenoid, and bypassed the ignition switch. I ran a cable from the battery to a toggle switch, back to the starter solenoid. I then hooked the neg. bat. cable back up and the starter didn't run (that's good). But now when I get the Jeep started it sounds like the starter bendix stays engaged with the fly wheel.

When you use the toggle switch to bypass the ignition switch to start the engine; do you flip the toggle switch back to the OFF position once the engine starts? If not; the starter solenoid will not disengage and keeping the Bendix gear engaged.

I have the same problem right now with my XJ (2000). I just replaced the starter, hooked it all up and connected the neg. bat. terminal and the starter turns over. I replaced the ignition/start switch (advance auto p/n CS266) and the the same thing happens.

Have you checked the starter relay (in PDC) to see if its engaged when th e starter is spinning? If it is; you need to find out what is sending the 12V signal.

I would put the XJ in "start" position and turn put the toggle in "on" and then when the Jeep started I would put the toggle to "off" and leave it there. But I read on another thread where the starter sounded like the bendix was always engaged, like mine, and the person put the key in "start" and push it all the way forward as far as he could. I did the same thing and it sounded like the bendix came back in. But the next time I tried to start it, nothing happened at all. All the lights work like usual and fuel pump primes, but no sound of the starter or bendix, even with the toggle... I don't know what the problem could be

Back