• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thoughts on this kit

With that kit I would think you wouldn't want to run only 31's? Not a big fan of either of those tire options but if I had to chose I'd go with the MTZ's. BFG KM2's would be much nicer. You should be able to run 33's at 4.5" with the proper amount of fender trimming and bumpstops. You'll need an SYE at that height as well.

Last edited:
ive heard almost nothing but bad things about rustys track bar, and if you look around you can probaly find wheel tire package cheaper than the kit is offering. i was able to get the soft 8s cheaper and support local business in my community.

Then it's not cheaper.:roflmao:

but i'd still buy this kit over the rusty's kit =) simply cuz you know how they say, buy quality spend once, buy junk and buy twice... the coils on the 5.5" lift are suppose to be like 20% stiffer than stock so it should ride pretty plush, and its a long arm kit that uses the transmission mount area and you dont have to cut off your LCA mounts to make these ones work because of the way they curve inward and back to the axle mount

My thoughts are that the kit you linked to is from Rusty's. Do yourself a favor and find a different one.

My thoughts are that the kit you linked to is from Rusty's. Do yourself a favor and find a different one.

im going to agree.

two kits I've heard similar things about (aside from craftsmanship) are Rustys and Rocky Road Outfitters. I heard both places have usually high shipping rates compared to all competitors. I know craftsmanship is very important, but just keep in mind when that Rustys kit says that price he also might jack up shipping.

I know when I call Rough Country they usually give a discount which is at least free shipping.

its 1400 with full leaf springs... its your xj buddy everyone is going to give different opinions. i am an iron rock offroad fan. they build pure beef. others will like TNT or rubicon express and u may like rough country. it will ultimately depend on what you want your rig to do for you. if its a daily driver and light wheeler then im sure that RC lift will work fine for you

I've beat on rc kits personally and installed a lot of them. If you buy from RC get the upgraded shocks. In all the kits I've installed from RC on many different jeeps we only had one set of leaf springs sag really fast(less than a year of tellico riding) and RC sent a new pair out with out asking ???'s. 3" RC stage 2 kit with 1.5" spacers on front would jam the 31" swampers up to the cut fenders
. great spring rate and shocks for trail riding...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

click pic to enlarge

If your competition crawling go with something else for DD and moderate to hard trails RC will work fine...btw there is an xj in our local upullit that looks like it hit a ditch at high speed and rolled...the RC lower control arm looks like it sheared the axle brackets off and bent the body side LCA mount with out bending...tough enough

With that kit I would think you wouldn't want to run only 31's? Not a big fan of either of those tire options but if I had to chose I'd go with the MTZ's. BFG KM2's would be much nicer. You should be able to run 33's at 4.5" with the proper amount of fender trimming and bumpstops. You'll need an SYE at that height as well.
i disagree on many points...

the MTZs are a nice tire. ive seen them on a few vehicles. id willingly run the KM2s if i found a better deal. but im a bit bias, i love my baja claws.

not everyone needs to run a huge tire. little tires give you a lot more room to flex. especially for those people who arent wanting to do a lot of fender modification. 31s fit 4.5" very well especially with stock bumpers and flairs.

and he may or may not need a SYE. i know i didnt NEED one. do i want one? yes. would i suggest one, yes.

Heard allot of bad things about Rusty's but maybe its because there are so many people using there products your bound to have complaints. I have the IRO kit and I have 0 complaints. This kits is super nice and very beefy. I would however ask IRO to give you a credit on the SS brake lines and have a local tube/hose company build you a set that is stouter. That would be my only complaint. Plus that free shipping is nice, that's going to save ya a bundle.

Whether or not you need an SYE depends as much on the Jeep as it does on the lift kit- some Jeeps have issues at stock height, some are fine even with some lift. My 97 was having problems at just 2" of lift. I have a simple transfer case drop on mine, which has temporarily cured the vibrations along with replacing all the joints, but is really only a bandaid fix. The proper fix is a SYE and double cardan shaft- I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

When asking "will this work on my Jeep", don't forget to include the basics- year, motor, axle, transfer case, transmission, etc that are involved- it matters.

Back