• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump removal tech

1989 Jeep MJ, 2.5L, 2wd, shortbed.

Water pump shit the bed aout a month ago and this is the first chance I have had to replace it. Does it come off willingly, of course not. To the best that I can figure it, the nipple on the front of the water pump pully is jammed into the back of the fan clutch. and of course the back of the water pump pully is rusted/siezed to the front of the water pump as well.

I tried prying gently, I tried love taps with a hammer. Then I tried a bit more force. No joy, any suggestions? I think it knows that I am trying to fix it so I can either sell it or use it as a trade in.

I just take every thing off the front of the engine when I change pumps, including the power steering bracket alongside the motor so I get a straight shot at putting the new one in without dinging up the gasket by trying to sneak it around the PS bracket.

I took the pump and bracket off. Easier that way. I ended up not caring if I messed the pulley up and just jammed a prybar in there. Then heaved away till I was yelling at it. Then it just popped loose. Didn't even break it.

So, you went Medieval on it!

I had to pull the PS bracket off when I did mine, as well. Got a few good swings with a hammer, and it finally loosened up. The old gasket had pretty much become one with the block... Took forever to get it all off.

Back