• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

mfascuba

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I'm on my fourth sending unit in the past 6 months. Started with the factory original (97, 4.0L AW4/NP242 w/ 170,000 miles), the "trained technicians" at the local quickie lube busted it off while changing my oil. They ran down to auto zone, picked up a replacement and installed it. About a month later that one started pissing oil out of the electrical connector, I bought another auto zone special, same thing happened three months later. Last one I got was from NAPA, but it has the exact same manufacturer's markings on the unit as the crap from auto zone. So far it's OK, but I did watch the pressure drop to zero the other day, the check gauges light came on, revved the engine and the gauge came back into normal range.

Does anyone have a source for these damned sending units that make a product that will last more than a few months? I go about 33,000 miles a year, I need this stuff to work.

Thanks,

Mark

I guess in your case I would try the dealer.

Good luck.

Some replacement parts are just better off being purchased from the dealer....

I have a long time friend thats been a Jeep mechanic for many years and who recommends sensors and ignition parts be OEM.

I replaced both of mine, one 97TJ and the 98XJ, used OEM, too many had them pissing oil out with aftermarket. I also agree on the dealer supplied ones though now that I found a NAPA store up the street that is a real company store and open till 630 every nite I have started buying from there, those NAPA gold filters do a heck of a lot better job keeping the oil clean than the pressure higher than the Mobil-1 and K&N filters at a much better price.

I paid $80 at the dealership 2 years ago and it hasn't failed yet.

Hmm bought the Advance auto one for $29 about 4 years ago. Still good to this day. Although every time I change the oil I unplug the wire from the sending unit to fit the Mobil 1 M1-301 oil filter in with no problem.

Back