• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98' Auto door locks dont work

Snarky

NAXJA Forum User
My 98' has a problem with activating the door locks. Every once in while my switch works, but most of the time I just hear a clicking sound and nothing happens.

I would like to check if my relay is bad but can not locate the relay. Dose anyone know where the relay for the door locks are? A couple of people have said the relays are in the passenger side kick panel, but which relay? There are like 4 relays.

Dose anyone have a wiring diagram or manual you could send me?

I also noticed that the "clicking" sound that happens when I press the switch comes from the passenger side controls in the arm rest. I took the door apart and found a large board with some more relays attached to the door lock/window switches. Maybe this thing is bad? -looks expensive

This thread is great for pre 1991 Cherokees:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1874

Hopefully I can find whats wrong and submit my fix.

The relays or actuators are part of the door lock mechnism itself. The fact that you hear them clicking sometimes seems to indicate they going bad. It is a bit odd that all are going out at once. Usually it's only one or two that go bad at any given time.

What you probably found when you took your door apart is nothing more than the master switch module. No relays there...just switches.

I've replaced the driver's door lock actuator twice and the rear drivers side one once. First time took about an hour. Next couple of times took about 20 minutes.

Go on Ebay and search "jeep cherokee door lock actuator" to see what they look like. Buy some while you're there. I have replacements on hand for all my doors because they don't last forever....

The relays or actuators are part of the door lock mechnism itself. The fact that you hear them clicking sometimes seems to indicate they going bad. It is a bit odd that all are going out at once. Usually it's only one or two that go bad at any given time.

What you probably found when you took your door apart is nothing more than the master switch module. No relays there...just switches.

I've replaced the driver's door lock actuator twice and the rear drivers side one once. First time took about an hour. Next couple of times took about 20 minutes.

Go on Ebay and search "jeep cherokee door lock actuator" to see what they look like. Buy some while you're there. I have replacements on hand for all my doors because they don't last forever....
Actually the module is more prone to failure and from what the OP is saying, it sounds like it's dead/dying. I had the same clicking sound too. I couldn't activate any of my locks from the driver seat. I replaced the module and it started working again. Modules can be found on ebay from $10 to as much as $40. Found mine for about $28.

Back