• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep won't start

gijosiahh

NAXJA Forum User
alright guys. did some searches and couldn't find exactly what i'm looking for. the jeep is a fully stock 2000 auto xj. i went to start it this morning and it would crank but would not start. the gauges were not working and the fuel pump does not turn on when i turn the key. tried jumping it just in case and that did not work. i checked all the fuses and relays and everything was fine. the odometer also reads no bus, not all the time, but off and on. any ideas? from what i picked up it could be the crankshaft position sensor? or even the ecu? what can i do to test to see what the problem is? any help is greatly appreciated!

Ok, the signs of a "shorted to ground" CPS/CKP crank sensor:

1. No gauges.
2. Cranks but won't start.
3. Scanner/reader can't communicate with PCM.
4. "NO BUS" display on instrument panel.

Quick and dirty test--unplug the crank sensor harness, if the gauges "magically" start working when the key is turned ON replace the crank sensor, it is shorted.

Good luck.

Back