• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie Sterring

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
So my joint wore out on the drag link and I changed the joint. While trying to remove the coils for something else I noticed that the drag link is the limiting factor for the passenger side drop. I got the setup used and am not sure if the failure was due to my setup. Happened after a week of wheeling.

I am not running a drop pitman and was wondering who is and how much it helped. I would hate to keep going through joints.

I am on about 5" of lift.

Josh

So my joint wore out on the drag link and I changed the joint. While trying to remove the coils for something else I noticed that the drag link is the limiting factor for the passenger side drop. I got the setup used and am not sure if the failure was due to my setup. Happened after a week of wheeling.

I am not running a drop pitman and was wondering who is and how much it helped. I would hate to keep going through joints.

I am on about 5" of lift.

Josh

You sure it's the draglink and not the trackbar limiting droop?

You are getting at the limit of what a tie rod end will allow in its range of motion. If you want more droop you will have to do some modifications to the steering linkage. A drop pitman arm might help a little, but the lower you drop the more leverage there is on the steering box and the more there is a need to brace it.

While trying to remove the coils for something else I noticed that the drag link is the limiting factor for the passenger side drop.
Josh

Question 1: Was the axle hanging completely when you saw the limited droop, or was the driver side of the axle being supported?

Question 2: Was it the axle end of the drag link binding, or the pitman arm end?

I have the same setup, except on 4.5 inches of lift, so I am curious. I may have a problem and not even know it.

Are you sure you have the Currie TRE with the offset joint like this one?

ce-9701dlr.jpg

Not a straight one like this...

ce-9701trr.jpg

This is a good point since it was a used set-up. You should have the bent-looking end at the pitman arm.

You shouldn't need much if any drop with your setup though. Like was said, you need to keep it in relation to your track bar or you will cause other problems with bumpsteer.

The Currie system is a great replacement system. I have been running it for 7+ years and so far I have replaced the pitman arm TRE twice (second time was this summer) and I am just noticing some wear in the p-side end. I am at about 8", with a 4" drop pitman and my shocks are my limiters, not my steering. In the pic I am running 33".

IMG_2719-1.jpg

You sure it's the draglink and not the trackbar limiting droop?

I have not a a complete test but I disconnected my steering when replacing my shocks a while back and don't remember this issue.

You are getting at the limit of what a tie rod end will allow in its range of motion. If you want more droop you will have to do some modifications to the steering linkage. A drop pitman arm might help a little, but the lower you drop the more leverage there is on the steering box and the more there is a need to brace it.

Good point I just threw on an inner steering box plate with my tnt bumper

Question 1: Was the axle hanging completely when you saw the limited droop, or was the driver side of the axle being supported?

Question 2: Was it the axle end of the drag link binding, or the pitman arm end?

I have the same setup, except on 4.5 inches of lift, so I am curious. I may have a problem and not even know it.

The jeep was supported at the frame and the axle was dropping without the wheels.

It seemed to be maxed out at the pitman arm.

ce-9701dlr.jpg

Not a straight one like this...

ce-9701trr.jpg

Yes it is the curved one.

some more info. Good point about the track bar I will need to look at that closer next time I test it out. I did replace the TB and steering at the same time. Previously had ZJ tie rod and RE 1600 with the stock bracket.

Currie Steering
RE 1660 TB with bracket
HP dana 30
RE short arms

I think an inch drop would be about right to keep everything in line with the TB. Isn't a Grand Cherokee pitman a 1" drop for the XJ.

Josh

Back