• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PSC steering issue - loud and leaky

xjcase

NAXJA Forum User
After reading through a bunch of steering issue threads, I have finally concluded that my issue has unique circumstances... but as always I could be wrong.

My rig has a PSC pump and resevoir kit installed on it - was this way when I bought it. The box may or may not be upgraded but I do not know for sure.

The steering has always been loud or at least noticeable below 2,000 rpms. Recently it's gotten quite a bit louder, especially on left hand turns. Right hand turns generate no more noise than normal - though when the motor downshifts and rpms rise the pump seems to get "whinier" and then settles with the rpms.

Yesterday I found myself boxed into a tight parallel spot and had to lock my wheel fully both directions 3 or 4 times, then did a full 180 at full left lock. After I straightened out I heard a VERY loud whining and felt clear vibrations in my steering wheel. I pulled over on the other side of the street, shut it down and looked under to see power steering fluid leaking. It wasn't anything very serious, maybe pancake sized puddle but none the less I am concerned.

Here are pictures of the line that was leaking, both on the pump and res. side on the same line.

There are no other leaks from any of the lines, the PSC resevoir doesn't have any leaks either.

pump side
_MG_9859.jpg

res. side (same line)
_MG_9858.jpg

Fluid levels look to be normal, though fluid looks a little red/brownish. When I say normal, I mean that the stock res. is full but in the PSC there seems to be no trace of visible fluid - Is it wrong to assume that because the stock res. is full that the PSC res should not be - or should the psc be full?

I drove home doing big-rig style turns and it hasn't been leaking since, but I have driven it less than a few miles. It is still loud and much louder with left turns, sometimes with noticeable vibrations.

Thanks in advance to anyone with advice on this issue - modified tech discussion has been a wealth of knowledge for me with this jeep

Okay....I hope to not insult you. But from the pictures, you have a couple things going on.

1st and foremost there is no OEM res attached to your PSC pump. I believe what you are referring to as your res is actually your master cylinder for your brakes. The prior owner upgraded the braking to a hydroboost. The two res have nothing to do with each other and don't share fluids. Fill your PSC res and report back. I am guessing you are simply low on fluid as you mistook the brake master cylinder for the power steering fluid res.

No insulting - Like I said I've never dealt with anything like the PSC system, nor have I dealt with power steering issues ever before. Why I mistook my master cylinder for power steering I don't know, foolishness most likely.

Thanks for the advice

psc has lots of tech info on their website & a tech line that you can call for info...like i did yesterday for my steering problem. they solved my issue!

If you have any doubts at all about the condition of the pump, you should consider replacing it since the brakes receive their boost from the power steering pump. Loose the pump and you will loose the brakes.
The hydroboost's accumulator, if still in good shape, will give you one or two stops before the brakes quit working completely.

Noises when turning in one direction but not the other indicate problems with the steering box.
Looks like the entire steering system needs attention.
I have both a PSC pump and box, which work well, but anything can be abused or worn out.

Back