• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank decided it no longer needs to hold gas

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
89 Jeep Cherokee limited
AW4 trans
np242 tc

So my gas tank sprung a lead due to rust through in one of the corners. What do you guys suggest to replace the tank with? Years, models upgrades from the JY?

How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks

97+ are plastic and the mounting of the pump assembly is on top. Can be used but lead to issues with fuel gauge reading backwards.

96 and earlier should be interchangeable. There are plenty of aftermarket sources for them. If you don't want to have the same problem again in another 21 years you could get some fuel tank liner for the new tank, Eastwood makes it, and make sure to coat the outside of the tank with something too.

rockauto.com has them listed starting at $93 and up to $137; six tanks listed, 3 are 20 gallon and 3 are 13.5 gallon.

Good luck.

Joe would you advise against going the salvage yard rout on a tank? I am seriously limited on cash.

Biggest bummer is I just put in a whole new fuel pump assemble this winter:smsoap:

No, I don't have a problem with salvage yard stuff at all. That said, at the most you would be buying a tank only 7 years younger, but that isn't necessarily a problem. You can re-use your pump assembly, you would probably want the two grommets for the top of the tank for the EVAP hose and the return line as they age and split, ParadiseXJ just bought a couple recently but I don't remember what he paid at the dealership--drop him a PM.

Whether you get it from a u-pull or its pulled for you make sure you take a bright spotlight with you so you can examine the inside of the tank for any issues as well as look out for major dents.

PM Kastein, he posted up a really cheap source for the tank strap bolts.

Good luck.

Back