• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 cherokee sport

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
Is there an easy way to lower the seats on these ? Sitting in it, my head is 1" from the headliner....these seats are way higher than the 88 I have.

Short of cutting the brackets down, is there any other way to lower them ?

Would brackets for a 88 work ?

Also, what is the security camera looking thing above the rear view mirror ? It looks just like the daylight sensor on my silverado, or maybe 1/2 of a very big medicine capsule.

Last edited:
There was a floor pan change 95/96 I believe. You could likely modify the earlier pedestals or simpler still would be to mod the ones you have now.

I tried an aftermarket bracket and seat--way too tall, my 6'4'' body was about 3" too tall.

Funny thing is, I am short @ 5'9"....just got short legs and a long body (and somewhat round with age)

I looked at modding the existing bracket, but not sure how the rear will work, as they are angled pretty good. can't just cut out an inch or so and be done with it.

Any idea what the pill thingy is ? Im thinking it may be a sensor for a remote lock/unlock fob (which I don't have if that is it)

Any idea what the pill thingy is ? Im thinking it may be a sensor for a remote lock/unlock fob (which I don't have if that is it)

You got it. Don't bother getting a fob, they aren't worth messing with. JIM.

Funny thing is, I am short @ 5'9"....just got short legs and a long body (and somewhat round with age)

I looked at modding the existing bracket, but not sure how the rear will work, as they are angled pretty good. caN't just cut out an inch or so and be done with it....

I totally understand. My '91 has power seats and my hair rubs against The top sometimes.

I guess you could chop an inch off of it. But you would have to reinforce it properly. Maybe takIng an inch out of the middle section. Then plate and weld it. :dunno:

E

I'm gonna look into it. May be able to cut some out and reweld with some additional bracing added in.

Even have considered removing some of the springs that make up the seat bottom to let me sit lower.

I know from experience I will hit my head if I dont get at least 2" of room. May not be so bad, since the 96 will be my DD, and the 88 will be relegated to off road duties soley now.

I will say this tho, the 96 has a rustys 3" lift kit on it, and the dang thing rides better than my new silverado....just can't figure it out !! I mean you hear the bump more, but you don't feel it as much as you do in the Silverado. Drove the same roads at the same speeds.

Last edited:
No real way to adjust, it's just the way it is. The 97 and up models are even worse!

I'm 6'4" and find my 91 MJ very comfortable, couple inches of headroom. The 96 I only get about an inch of headroom, the 98 my hair is touching the headliner most of the time.

Also, the pill looking thing is indeed for the IR remote, it is next to worthless. They break often, have a range of approximately "how close can you get it to the window glass?" and only lock and unlock. The cool thing about having one, however, is that it means you have wires for lock, unlock, constant 12 volt power, and ignition switched 12 volt power already run to that location. So you can quite easily bore a hole for a CB antenna mount in the roof, whip up a 2 foot coax cable for it, mount your CB up there, and have power lines for it already installed.

Tell me about it.... 6 foot 3 in an '00. Hit some hard bumps and my head has hit the roof.

Easiest solution.......

Chop off the top!

Tell me about it.... 6 foot 3 in an '00. Hit some hard bumps and my head has hit the roof.

Easiest solution.......

Chop off the top!

Modify the roof as in "Harry and the Hendersons"?

We put early model seats in our '95. I made a template of the bottom of the 'older' but nicer Laredo seat out of 1/4" plywood, no larger than the footprint of the base. I then sat it on the floor just behind, but up against the '95+ seat mount 'crossmember'. Before you drill the holes, make sure you're catching the lip on the frame rail, on the two outboard holes, for strength. Flat floor <'94s have a piece of reinforcing steel running from the frame rail, across the two back bolts, and up the tranny tunnel. You may want to duplicate something like this, to keep the seat bolts from ripping through the floor in case of an accident. We beefed up the floor when the 'drainage' holes were repaired. Shoot for nice Laredo buckets, as they're much nicer feeling, looking, and more durable than the '95+ seats.

Back