• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FR wheel clicking, Popping steering, Diff issues

91Red4.0

NAXJA Forum User
91 XJ 4.0/AW4/231 191k miles

#1 Front right wheel clicks during rotation at all times. It can't be felt through the jeep but it is plainly audible. It becomes slightly less intense during braking. This just randomly started recently. Axle shaft u-joints? The shaft has to come out of the diff for these to be replaced correct?

#2 Clunk in rear diff when going from Reverse to Drive, or drive to reverse. Checked DS u-joints and their okay.. Noise is loudest if your head is next to the diff-not sure what this is. Doesn't really bother me, can I safely ignore this assuming its not missing teeth when I pull the cover tomorrow?

#3 Sloppy steering, wander, and just starting now I hear pops coming from the footwell of the xj when I corner. I also get the same pops during stops and starts (minor suspension articulation) Trackbar is tight. Haven't checked other components but the tierods are okay, ran out of time to keep diagnosing..

1. Check for rocks. Otherwise, U-joints and / or hub are suspect.
2. No idea. How many miles?
3. Check shock bolts - are they tight? Use a torque wrench to make sure all 4 track bar bracket bolts are at 80 ft-lbs (check this one... I think its 80 but could be wrong) and check out your bushings / rod ends on the TB.
As for sloppy steering - is your rig lifted? How many miles on the TREs? Worn components will result in slop well before signs of failure.

1. Agree with yosarian19.

2. Sounds like slop in the pinion/ring gear setup. How is your idle speed in PARK/NEUTRAL? In drive when fully warmed up--after 20 minutes of driving? Use an external tach, the dash one isn't very accurate.

3. Check the entire front end. Front wheels on the ground, engine off and have a second pair of hands turn the wheel slowly left and right while you use a bright spotlight and observe the components for loose parts. Trackbar, TREs. Check the shock mounts, see if the bushings are worn out, make sure the bayonet mount up top is tight and the grommets are still good. Make notes of problems.

Jack up the front end. Grab the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock, try and wiggle it--ball joints. Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock--unit bearings. Use a bright spotlight and look at the axle u-joints.

Back