• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual issue

ARB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a friend with a 99 4.0 5spd, 120K, they are having trouble in 3rd gear, sometimes when you go into third it shakes an almost feels like you are gonna stall it. Doesnt matter how fast your going, still randomly happens, any ideas? Clutch going?

Well, a clutch issue wouldn't show up only in Third gear. Maybe driving habits, shifting into Third a little too soon, combined with some worn out engine/ trans mounts?

They have been driving the jeep for about 4yrs now, and the problem just started in the past couple months

Missing third and hitting 5th gear by mistake. :}

Makes the most sense to me. OP--have you driven it yourself?

I would expect chatter/grabbing to happen in all gears, especially first.

Other things, outside of the clutch, that will cause a clutch to grab or chatter when it is being engaged--loose spring shackles or U-bolts, loose transmission mounts, and worn engine mounts should be checked, including broken/missing engine mount bracket to engine block bolts. Might even want to check the bellhousing to engine bolts.

i would definately check the trans mount. I think that is a good place to start and is only about 30 bucks from napa

i have not driven it, but i have been in the jeep when it happens, ill check the mounts the first chance i get. Just find it strange that its a random happening on 90% of the time only in third, Thanks for the advise:cheers:, ill let you know what i find

Back