• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arm length puzzle?

lowbuck

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '87 Comanche that was running Rusty's 4.5" springs, with Rusty's fixed length lowers and stock uppers.
Recently added 1.75" poly spacers and rough country drop brackets. After installing these I noticed the axle was a bit too far forward , not having a surplus of cash I picked up a pair of stock lower control arms and installed those.
There is now a hideous bow in the springs and the bumps stops don't line up at all anymore, the axle is further ahead of the springs with the shorter lowers. I'm thinking the uppers need to be shortened to rotate the top of the axle back but the Rough Country instructions say to use a slightly longer upper at my height, which would appear to only make things worse.

The answer seem obvious, got to shorter/adjustable uppers, but it contradicts the instructions,
Any suggestions?

you may need longer uppers, but with that comes longer lowers. geting adjustable will allow you to fine tune the pinion angle and wheel base. you can probably make the uppers at least as short as the stock ones. i think you need adjustables and to make the wheel base and pinion angle correct

Back