• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new engine

tigtag

NAXJA Forum User
WHen it's time to replace my old 4.0 does anybody have suggestions on high performance engine to go with? I've heard Hesco does some pretty good stuff with jeep 4.0s. I also saw a sweet custom xj in portland, OR with hood scoops. Does anybody know who sells these hoods?

tigtag said:
WHen it's time to replace my old 4.0 does anybody have suggestions on high performance engine to go with? I've heard Hesco does some pretty good stuff with jeep 4.0s. I also saw a sweet custom xj in portland, OR with hood scoops. Does anybody know who sells these hoods?

how many miles on your 4.0? they last a good long time...

are you wanting to build the motor yourself? or have a crate motor, not that many people sell crate highpo 4.0s, hesco does, but i havent heard the best things about their crates, although i would go with their stroker kit

hesco does to good stuff, for good $...you can check out accuratepower.com, hescosc.com, cliffordperformance.com, and there are a couple of other kits, i cant remember the websites though...

the hood was probably lund hood scoops, jcwhitney and some other places sell them, they make a good cheap addition to your hood, im thinking of getting them...you can also check out usbody.com for a cool cowl induction hood...

hope this helps :D:D:D:D

tigtag said:
It has 135,000 miles. I couldn't rebuild an engine to save my life.

135k, your still way good, just put some mods on it and change the oil with synthetics often, itll run until 300k...I was expecting you to say 300k, lol

mine has 160k and runs like a champ, it leaks a little oil, but hey

on the other hand, if you have your heart set on a new motor, your gonna spend a buttload if you dont do it your self, 5k is the low side...youll have to have a machine shop do it...

Your engine should last way past 135k miles. I've got 166k miles on mine and it doesn't burn any oil and doesn't leak (I have an 11k mile old rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and valve cover sealant so I should hope so!).
Add a few performance mods to give the 4.0 a little more "go" and if you're still not happy, there's always a stroker to think about. Take a look around my website for performance and stroker info.

"(I have an 11k mile old rear main seal, oil pan gasket, and valve cover sealant so I should hope so!). "

Hey Dino,
That rear main seal, is that the reason it looks like oil is being sprayed around my undercarriage at the driveshaft? It doesn't really leak spots, but it looks like oil gets sprayed and spun out by the driveshaft. And sorry, i'm at school, 200 miles away from my baby, i know i could just check after i drive if i was home. Thx

A leaking rear main seal is very obvious when you see it. You'll see oil leaking from in between the back of the oil pan and the transmission bellhousing. The oil usually gets blown backwards as you drive so it eventually coats the whole undercarriage.
Your case sounds more like a rear diff. pinion seal leaking. The oil from that can get spun around by the rear driveshaft and lightly coat part of the undercarriage (not nearly as much as a leaking rear main).
I replaced my leaking rear main seal at 155k miles when it was only a small drip. I didn't wait for it to get worse.

If its around the front of the drive shaft it may be your TCout put shaft seal. ther is kid of a kit that replace the seal and the bushing that is inside of the tail cone and tha hope fully stops the leak from around the driveshaft yoke.

Back