• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to make my new XJ more reliable

cb0019

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 88 4 door with a 4.0 and an auto trans (I think from a 90's model). I just bought it today and want to do some general maintenance.
Basically I just wanted to know what parts perform best for a daily driver.

Any brand of plugs/wires that is prefered?
Any specific shocks? I was thinking of Monroe Sensitracs.
Would an Optima battery be overkill?
What oil is best? Oil filter?
Also is there a good source for interior panels and body parts?

Thanks for any info

Last edited:
Ive used the Sensitracs before and they are alright for a daily driver if you only venture off the road every now and then. I found they tended to overheat when on gravel roads with lots of bumps (like they all have on the way to trails)

Well getting any performance shocks is always going to improve the ride on and off road. So really the call comes down to how much you want to spend and what quality you would like.

Standard Champion or NGK V-Fire plugs.
Wix or NAPA Gold oil filter.
I recommend Shell Rotella, but any quality diesel motor oil is good. 10w30 or 15w40.
Monroe Sensatracs for a DD/light wheeler.
NOS stuff at teamcherokee.com or jeepsareus.com

leave it be, from my exp. with modding things it just makes things worse and causes more problems down the road, sooner or later you have a new car FTW

Standard Champion or NGK V-Fire plugs.
Wix or NAPA Gold oil filter.
I recommend Shell Rotella, but any quality diesel motor oil is good. 10w30 or 15w40.
Monroe Sensatracs for a DD/light wheeler.
NOS stuff at teamcherokee.com or jeepsareus.com
X2.

Want to make it more reliable?

Buy a spare CPS, TPS, an assortment pack of fuses (standard and maxi sizes, don't think an 88 uses any of the mini fuses), a few spare relays, some wire, a cheap DMM, a cheap socket wrench set (walmart has a set for 5 dollars that is fine for this kind of emergency use thing, just buy a decent ratchet and toss the one that came with it), a set of jumper cables, a tire plug kit, a small cig lighter powered air compressor, a battery terminal cleaning tool, and a spare serpentine belt. Shove it all in the glovebox and under the seats. None of that stuff will EVER break on you now.

EDIT: oh... and make sure you have a good lug wrench (one of the cross shaped ones, the stock one kinda sucks), a pair of pliers / multitool, and a tire changing jack.

Back