• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine bay light

mtndew

NAXJA Forum User
when i picked up my 89 xj auto 4.0 there was one of those extending engine bay lights on the hood but it wasnt connected to anything and i couldnt find a connector for it anywhere. so my first question is did the cherokee have an option for this light? if so, does anyone know if its a mercury switch? i was just gonna run a new wire but i wasnt sure if theres a button that the hood depresses to turn it off or if its a mercury switch

Mine Has a single Pos+ wire that goes into the wire harness between the fender and the relays under that plastic cover. It's grounded to the hood. I'm not sure about the switch. I was actually kinda wondering that myself.

Zombie thread, I know!
emoticon-misc-025.gif

Couldn't find a 97 - 01 under hood lamp at the JY, so pulled one from a ZJ. It is just a plain white reflector, no lens. Will we have to do anything special to make this work? Plug on this lamp and plug in engine pay ain't the same, but wires appear to be same colors. Cut and splice, or is there a switch in the 97 - 01 lamp housing?

Thanks!

My '93 didn't come with an engine compartment light.

My '98 engine compartment light has a roller ball bearing inside the housing that acts as
a position switch. No mercury switch or any other switch is there. The lamp is connected to the wire harness that runs along the firewall via a plug on the end of a pigtail.

Back