• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time Sensitive Need help!!!!!!!

98_XJ_Classic

NAXJA Forum User
Last week I parked my 98 classic cause the front passenger u joint is bad, but my backup car broke and I had to drive my xj, I started it and the belt usually squeels for a few seconds but this time it would not stop had to drive to work with a squeeky belt, then I started it up to leave no squeek but now I have a very strange idol, if I am stoped at a light I can feel the jeep wanting to jerk forward every few seconds, and when I take off it almost seems like it wants to die on me but never does. I have no Idea what the problem is, I think I might have a fouled plug, but not really sure, any light shed on this would be great. (I have to start driving it to school this thursday and need to have this fixed before then, also it is not throwing out any codes)

Last edited:
its not a smooth loss of power like it is shutting down, it spotty and almost sounds like it is backfiring under a load, also I put my hand under the exhaust and it gives off a strong puff every few seconds

put a fuel gauge on the rail, and make sure its getting consistant fuel pressure.

but to me, it sounds like you're running on 5 cylinders. get an inline spark tester, and make sure all the plugs are firing, if in doubt about plugs, replace them all -theyre cheap, and unless theyre a month old, it's good insurance

you can do the same thing to the fuel injectors. unplug the electrical connection from them, one at a time with the engine running, you should be able to hear/feel the motor run like crap when you disconnect them, if one doesnt have any effect, it wasnt working in the first place!

or -- since you're is a 98, go read the codes.

Just had a similar issue, thought my belt was tight enough but when I brought it in to a shop the said it was way to loose. mine is as tight as a banjo string now. no issues now

you mean you think you wasted the idler pulley? start it up and watch the pulleys, then kill it and take the belt off, and check the bearing for slop, obviously there shouldnt be any!

ive ruined waterpumps by having a belt on just slightly misaligned, check that pulley too, it was obvious for me. mine wobbled with the belt on

Pull the belt.

Turn all belt driven accessories and idlers by hand.

Replace anything that is wobbly, stiff, or makes grinding noises when you turn it.

Install new belt.

Using a GAUGE tighten the new belt to 180-200 ft lbs of tension.

Back