• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee Newb

iceblue

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, I am new to XJs but not jeeps. I have a new to me 89. I just finished working on the AC and now have a tan colored, I think, vacuum line that is loose. I have searched and cannot find a diagram telling me where it goes. Anybody know where or to what it goes to? Before working on it the AC would only blow through the dash vents. Now it alternates on its own between the dash and defrost.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
When the vacuum system isn't operating properly the vents will default to defrost.

There is a vacuum reservoir "ball" or "capsule" behind the front bumper, passenger's side. The line attached to it likes to break where it runs under or behind the battery. Without the reserve vacuum in the reservoir, each time the engine is under a load--either accelerating or going up a hill--the engine vacuum will drop and all vacuum accessories will go wonky. No cruise, vents, no 4x4 if NP231 equipped, no coolant control (heater control) valve.

Can you provide a better description of the vacuum lines location in relation to the engine and its components?

PS--welcome to NAXJA!

It is just to left of the tray that the collant bottle sits on, on the passenger side of the engine compartment. There are two lines that come out, one ontop of the other. The bottom one is black and goes to the vacuum ball. The top one is the one that is broken and looks like it was maybe tan, I cant really be sure what color it is since it is so old. I can not see any other lines that appear to be broken or of the same color. Both lines are uin one grommet and are above the brass block that the ac hoses connect to.

Ok, just to the left (as sitting in the driver's seat) of the pressure bottle is a coolant control valve (heater control valve to the barbarians). Is there a vacuum line attached to it?

I Happened to see a comanche and found out where the vacuum tube goes to. On one of the heater hoses there is a vacuum picece that it connects into. The problem I was having was the piece still had a elbow connector on it and it was pointed down hiding the fact that the tube connected to it.
Thanks for the help

Yep, that is the coolant control valve, controls the flow of coolant through the heater core.

Glad you got it figured out and fixed.

I dont know if it has anything to do with it or not, but it rained yesterday and the intermentant wipers started working after hooking up the vacum line. They hadn't been working before

Coincidence.

Stalk--Switch--intermittent module--wiper motor.

Big stretch that a change in moisture content in the air caused it to start working.

Back