• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring for brake/tc after abs removal

smokinlib1

NAXJA Forum User
Okay all here's the deal. I have just removed my Bendix ABS system from my 1990 XJ and installed the complete non ABS system from a 1996 XJ. What I need to know is what wires get spliced to where on the 1996 brake light switch. Mine had cruise but that got pulled at the same time I did the brake swap so I don't need to hook that up but during my search for the answer on here I have seen that if you don't get the wires hooked up on the new switch correctly you will not have TC lock up. But that was as far as they ever went. I need to know what wires splice from the 1990 systems brake light switch to the 1996 system switch.
Thanks!

I'm not quite sure I understand, what wires do you think you need to splice? I did the Bendix ABS swap on my '91, and I never had to splice or mess around with any wires.

Sounds like the brake light switch on the pedal to me, since he swapped the whole pedal assembly as well. Not sure though.

When I did the swap on my 91 I used booster and mc from 97 and shortened rod 7/8" reused original pedal assembly and switch no wiring needed

I used the entire brake assembly from the 1996-pedal, master cylinder, booster and brake light switch because I didn't want to grind the booster rod. I read that the 95/96, if the brake pedal was used was a bolt in replacement. It's not as far as the wiring is concerned. My 90 had two plugs with 2 wires each connected to the brake light switch connected to the pedal, one set came in straight in and the other came in at a 90* angle to the switch. The 96 used a switch mounted to the pedal mounting bracket. The 96 is a 6 pin connector and I need to know what wires form the 90's switch splice into which wires on the 96's switch.
MultiImagePopup.aspx
I would post pics but for some reason it's not letting me this morning.

Last edited:
Back