• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch is not opening

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
My rear hatch has stopped opening, How do I go about taking this thing apart to fix it. I think its a cable that has disconnected somehow But gettin in theres the thing. Btw its a 99, flip latch style, not push button, i know the old push buttons were prone to breaking too.

ok climb into the cargo area through the backseat.
on inside of the wiper pull the plastic back so you can fit a flashlite and your arm down an reconnect the bolt that clips into the latch for the release outside. it may just be loose too, in which case slide it ruther up the bolt, or just pull the release for now so you have the door open and can work more easily.
I had to do the same thing on my 97, I needed a helpin hand, and its a tight squeeze, but you can do it. once your inside the plastic and can see what I am talking about it will become more obvious.

Before you start tearing into it, if you haven't tried it, you may want to try leaning into the hatch and while you still have the pressure on it, giving it a go.

Mine acted as if it was locked, I mean lift the flap nothing. I had to always lean into it before opening. One day I just sprayed the hell out of the locking mechanism with Liquid Wrench and haven't had a problem since.

I had the same problem as Idiot here(sorry, its what your name says:D ), my 98 would act like it was locked, but if I pushed in on the bottom left area while liftin the handle then pulled it open it would open fine. Kinda funny to have someone else open it, and they cant figure it out, then to see their faces when you walk up and do it first try. Or just tell them its a custom security feature you installed, some will actually believe you. :cool:

Let us know if you get it open.

Tried that just now, nothin. I tried pullin the handle a few times to feel it. Feels like something, a wire maybe, catches for a split second then slips off again

Then it sounds like you are going to have to get inside the door from the inside as someone suggested, although I'm not sure if that is at all possible on a 97+ body style as ours are, I personally have not tried moving that plastic piece off while the door was closed.

Good luck!

ZacSquatch said:
Tried that just now, nothin. I tried pullin the handle a few times to feel it. Feels like something, a wire maybe, catches for a split second then slips off again
zac u get this thing fixed? interested on what way worked, mine is stuck

You will have to climb into the back of your rig, and pull the panel off of the inside of the door. Once you get it most of the way off you can get your arm down in there and pull up on the latch mechanism on the inside and open the hatch. Once you have it open take the interior panel all the way off. You will see a threaded rod that connects the handle mechanism to the latch this is most likely where your problem is. Tighten up the nut on there or use some zip-ties to hold them together. You will get good at this because depending on how much you bounce the Jeep around you will be doing it once or twice a year, maybe more.

if your hitch isn't in the way(if you have one...) and the nuts aren't rusted too badly-i see that you're on the left coast-you should be able to get at the two nuts for the latch catch up behind the bumper. take them off, and with a little wiggling/pulling the hatch should pop open. it's worked for me twice.

Same thing happened to my 99. I used to have to push on the hatch right above the handle, and it opened fine. It was nice, because no one but me knew how to open up the rear!! Then in september, in the middle of a wheeling trip, it decided not to open up at all anymore. Still haven't fixed it yet, too much junk in there!!

Back