• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98+ Rear Main Seal

redrock

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I have a 98 XJ 4.0 Automatic. I am trying to knock out an oil leak or two and thought I would have a go at replacing the rear main. I have done this job on my CJ-8 258 and it wasn't too difficult. I read other posts about the steps and got after it. However, when I pulled the oil pan this looks different. The rear main bearing cap appears to be under a "brace" that runs the length of the motor and connects at all of the other bearing caps. Is there anything I should know before taking all the bolts out of each cap in order to remove the brace in order to remove the rear cap?

Thanks,
redrocks

There are separate nuts holding the girdle brace in place. The main bearing cap nuts are underneath the girdle brace.

Once you get the old seal out, you might have a hard time sliding the new one in place. Just loosen the main caps nuts a turn or so, tap each cap to loosen it, so the crank drops a bit. The RMS should now slide easier into place. Just retighten each main cap nut back to 80 ft-lbs.

When you go to install the pan gasket, I found it a lot easier to tack the gasket to the engine block with a little RTV to hold it in place. Plus you are less likely to wind up with an oil leak from the rear if the gasket doesn't seat well into the rear bearing cap groove. Work your way from the back to make sure the gasket fits in the rear bearing cap groove. As you move forward, use some of the pan bolts to hold the gasket in place while you set it. Go back and press the gasket really well to the engine block. Wait a bit to let the RTV set, then remove the pan bolts holding the gasket in place. Reinstalling the oil pan will be less challenging that way, than sticking the gasket to the pan itself, and trying to keep the gasket in place....

Back