• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Product Review: The Harbor Freight rolling tool cart

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
95659.gif

0822001703.jpg

0822001702.jpg

I bought this cart a few months ago and thought I would do a little review on it. It retails for around $150, if you're unfortunate it may cost as much as $179, and if you're lucky, you can score it on sale for $99. I bought it for the base price of $150, but wouldn't have hesitated to pay $250 for it. This thing really rocks. Of course, like everything harbor freight, it has it's flaws. But for the price, I'm convinced you just can't find anything better.

Construction:
It's very sturdy. I put it together with the supplied bolts and loaded it up, and it was very able to withstand the weight without much bending and flexing. The thickness of the metal is pretty decent, although it could use a bit more bracing.... I took it apart, used some decent 'grade' rated bolts, and gorilla glue'd all the corner joints. It's like a rock now, no flex whatsoever.

Cons
- the bolts suck. I couldn't use about 4 of them because the threads were all bugged up straight out of the box. 2 more snapped on me just tightening them up. They're probably chiwanese grade negative 5 and full of air pockets. To make it worse they try and make them 'nyloc'. All this does is make it harder to get some of them started and annoying to tighten down.

- the lid hinges are pathetic. They come with what looks like imitation machines screws. The "locks" on it are way too hard to engage, and it stays up just by the friction of the hinges. I took them off completely and let the lid flip over the back. Makes the whole cart a little more sleek and low profile. I'm still trying to figure out how to fab it into a tray for parts.

Finish:
I was very impressed with the powdercoating. I think it only comes in Black, and maybe red, not too sure. The paint is very even, and nothing that I could find had been mixed. I've found a lot of times with cheap powdercoat, they toss it in the box when it's still 400 degrees out of the over. This lets the part stick to each other and you end up with exposed metal or inconsistent finish. Not the case here. All the parts were indivdually wrapped and coated well.

It even comes with pre-cut liners for all the flat surfaces. Inside the top, all the drawers, and the bottom shelf. A definite plus, as I do this with all of my tool boxes anyway.

Maneuverability/Agility:
Very impressed here. It comes with huge 5+ inch casters. 4 wheels steering all the way around. In a shop this is absolutely critical, I can't stand the little 2 caster carts that twirl around like grocery carts. I want to be able to push it in any direction with ease. The wheels easily roll over gaps in the floor, drains, cords, and debris. Air hoses seemed to pose an issue when it's fully loaded, but if you push hard enough it will go right over. 2 of the casters even lock, so you can keep it in placer securely if you need to.

Storage Space
Again, pleasantly surprised in this area. This cart is very well laid out. A deep shelf up top, 2 split drawers right below, 2 full width drawer under that, and finally a deep full width drawer at the bottom. Plenty of room for lots of tools, trinkets, pry bars, hammers, whatever you need. I really like the height of the under-box shelf. You can store coolant or oil bottles etc underneath with plenty of head room.

The ball bearing drawer rollers are a dream as well. I wasn't aware it had bearing when I purchased it. Even weighted down, the open and shut with ease. And when you close them, they stay closed. The lock bar down the back works great when the lid is shut.

Cons
- The screwdriver racks on the sides are absolutely worthless. I've tried 3 different brands, and none of them let the lid close all the way. Just poor designs I guess. It does however work for ratchets and breaker bars, but I prefer to keep those in drawers.

-The keys are a bit flimsy. They give you two, but the entire lock tumbler is just cheap by design. I would like something a bit more hefty, but I guess what can you expect.

Overall:
Like I said in the opening, I would have easily spent 100 more dollars on this cart. It is functionality in it's best form, and I'm glad I took the dive. I use it all day, every day. I beat on it, throw things in it, drop things on it, slam the lid, had it tip over once, and it still holds up asking for more. The craftsmanship is excellent considering where it's made. The instruction manual is a joke, but if you've got any sort of common sense you should have it together in around half an hour. I've used a couple other carts from SnapOn and Mac in this one's same class, and it blows them away. Hope this helps...

I agree 100% with the OP on this tool cart. I have had one for about 9 months now, and its worth double what you pay for it. I too have used the bigger name brands, and this is just as good. I havent had any problem with the locks on mine, but they are kind cheap.

Harbor freight is always hit or miss, but the US General brand stuff (who makes this, and other nice boxes) are definitely a hit.

I made a small side shelf for mine, just out of some 16 gauge I had laying around. I used this box for assembly after repairs or after vehicles came out of a paint booth. used the side shelf to organize fasteners.

Oh yeah, when I went to buy mine, it was on sale for $99 bucks. I had the coupon, but wanted to make sure they had them before driving up there. The gus says, yep we got two left in the back. I got up there, and they dont have any. I talked to the manager and he sold me the display model for $80 bucks out the door because of my 'inconvenience'. It was already assembled, but I did have to replace a few bolts. I would easily pay $250 bucks for this thing though.

DSCN1911.jpg

DSCN1910.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same one and love it as well.

I wouldn't mind changing the casters to something that roll better when packed down with weight.

I have a large toolbox that is full and this cart is awesome to have around.

The next one I get is going to be set up for all of my airtools. I plan to mount a ratcheting hose on it and have all of the airtools and sharps in the cart.

There is also a red cart from HF for a couple bucks more that looks like it is a winner as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/five-drawer-service-cart-95272.html

Can't go wrong with the black one for 99 bucks.

Oh and I sprayed the top of mine with rubberized undercoat spray. I found that I was scratching it keeping stuff on top of it. With the spray things stay put and it doesn't scratch anymore.

IMG_1797.JPG

There it is in the middle of the shot. I use the sides of it to hold my grinders.

Very appreciative of the review. I have had my eye on this box for a couple months now..

I'm thinking about putting some small pneumatic casters on mine, and bolting a large 1/2" thick steel plate underneath the bottom tray. I loaded it over it's capacity the other day to bring home for the weekend, and when I opened 2 drawers at the same time it aaaaalmost tipped over. A little more weight at the bottom should help.

On a side note, does anyone know where I can get a huge magnetic parts tray? I want the entire thing to be magnetic, I'm thinking somewhere around 12"x24" dimensions.

Yeah, I tipped mine once as well.

That red box is even sweeter, and is a step up from the black one. Its on sale right now, and is a killer box. If i didnt already have two rolling carts, I would like to snatch it up. Just wish they made it in black to go with my big Matco box.

as for the magnetic tray, you could build the tray (similar to mine) and lay down some of that magnetic sign material that people use on the side of their cars. Lay it in upside down (magnetic side facing up), and it should work. not sure how strong it would be though.

Oh I also ground down the two pistons that hit the lid so I can open the draws without opening the lid. It comes in handy when it is packed with stuff on top of it.

I loaded it over it's capacity the other day to bring home for the weekend, and when I opened 2 drawers at the same time it aaaaalmost tipped over.

if it makes you feel any better, the same thing happened to my matco cart... i bent two drawers worth of sliders.... I FINALLY got in touch with matco this week... (im not a mechanic for work) and it cost me over $140 for 4 of them.....

ouch!
thanks for the review, im tempted to pickup another cart for the shop.

Got an email flyer from HF today. The black cart is back on sale for 99. Sept 3-6th

Nice write up!

I have the same cart and I really am impressed.. My Girl bought it for me for christmas last year and it has made several motor jobs and several complete builds alot easier, being able to get to my tools without having to go to the big box..

only issue I have had is that one drawer sticks every once in a while due to the crappy fake chrome on the front of the drawer hanging up on the vertical support.

I do wish the side supports had holes like the Matco boxes do. that way long screwdrivers and prybars would slide all the way down allowing the lid to close.

I just use the lid to hold my nekkid wimmen calanders and magnetic business cards.. :D

think I may pick up the red one tomorrow! Just got my new issue of JP and with it the 20% off coupon!

Ill post some pics if I get it.

Back