• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rod End Reducers

FiveNdime

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone ever used them? I have the Iron Rock Off Road steering with 5/8" rod ends and I dont want to drill out the knuckles just yet so I got some reducers to go to 1/2" bolts instead. There basically sleeves that go between the bolt and the eye of the rod end. Any thoughts on good or bad idea?

Has anyone ever used them? I have the Iron Rock Off Road steering with 5/8" rod ends and I dont want to drill out the knuckles just yet so I got some reducers to go to 1/2" bolts instead. There basically sleeves that go between the bolt and the eye of the rod end. Any thoughts on good or bad idea?
Sure you can, but why? Just drill the knuckles and be done with it, plus you'll end up with a stronger bolt.

Not being familiar with any IRO product, you might be better off with some high misalignment spacers (on the drag link, not needed for a tie rod). Be sure to use a good name brand threadlocker (like loctite, not the knockoff stuff) plus locknuts and make sure you are using safety washers if need be.

Last edited:
:dunno:

IRO said:
NOTE: This kit comes with 1/2" grade 8 hardware. We have the option to upgrade to 5/8" grade 8 hardware for an even stronger set up for only $20.00! This option does require drilling of your steering knuckles and pitman arm tapers for 5/8" bolts.

Goddamn you Ross for making me look this up.

So the large side of the stock taper in a D30 knuckle is 5/8" (0.625"). You're not going to be able to use a 1/2" bolt unless you have some sort of tapered insert made. If I were you, I'd just drill out the knuckle to 5/8".

Refer to JCROffroad's pic below...

reaming.gif

They make crush sleeves for the taper issue. I ended up borrowing a 5/8" drill bit and went to town with some oil and my drill. Steering is now installed and feels nice on the street, but due to the rather large hit to a rock on my last wheeling trip I think my steering stabilizer is now shot since its leaking oil. The rock is also the reason for new steering.

Back