• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carter Fuel pumps - anyone have a GOOD result?

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
basically just want to add my tale for future searchers that are replacing their fuel pump

I installed a Carter brand fuel pump in my 1990 XJ and it lasted about 30 kms. The build quality actually looks not too bad but something went wrong internally as it will run for a few seconds then stop (this is when hooked up directly to a battery, on the bench). It doesn't sound very good either. I'd love to cut it open to see what went wrong but would rather get my money back.

Has anyone actually installed a Carter fuel pump and had it last a reasonable amount of time? ie, a year or more?

I've never used a Carter pump, but I've had good luck with Walbro units on several other vehicles. If you look, you can find a new unit with the intallation kit for just under $100 too...

I've never used a Carter pump, but I've had good luck with Walbro units on several other vehicles. If you look, you can find a new unit with the intallation kit for just under $100 too...

apparently the XJ's have either the Walbro style or Bosch style. If you have one, you can't swap with the other. I have the Bosch style (actual OEM pump did not have any brand name on it) so was stuck with the carter

apparently the XJ's have either the Walbro style or Bosch style. If you have one, you can't swap with the other. I have the Bosch style (actual OEM pump did not have any brand name on it) so was stuck with the carter

you can buy the bosch pump by itself off Rock Auto.

Bosch 69316 fuel pump only
Bosch 67658 fuel pump module assembly

per rockauto.com, A**uming a 4.0 engine.

Does anyone know for sure if the 97XJ uses the "Bosch" type?? I want to buy one before I take down the tank, but do not want to end up with the wrong fuel pump and the tank hanging.

Thanks-
when i put a new fuel pump in my 99 the original i took out was a bosch.mike

Back