• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Various Minor problems...

Nova Wake

NAXJA Forum User
Well ok now that i have fixed the oil problem, i also replaced the serpentine belt and i have just a few more things left before im finally done with the fixing part of my venture and go into the modification. Its a 95 4.0, auto

One i smell exhaust when im driving, i searched and i think i found the culprit a crack in the damn header, now the question is what header do i use that is least prone to cracking? should i replace the engine mounts with the ones from more? due to this it struggles mildly up hills and sounds like a train, and my gas mileage is a little worse. pic.

ccv003.jpg

Next my damn window switch only works from driver side, i think maybe a new master control thing but i don't know.

3rd. My damn power outlet from the cigerette hole fries almost anything i plug into it and i can't charge my phone for GPS anymore, it also seems that my lights will dim sometimes while driving but just my headlights and only for a brief second, this is prior to replacing the serp belt that i just did so i don't know if it still does it..

4th. When i drive through water it throws a battery disconnect code, and a hugo sensor code? where do i start hunting for that, i need to check wires in the engine bay i suppose maybe i should just upgrade them.

I think that's it, as i have a new blower motor resistor on the way to fix the only on high mode.

Last edited:
probably a HEGO sensor code... i.e. O2 sensor. Not sure on the battery disconnect.

How to prevent the XJ 4.0 exhaust header from cracking:

New motor mounts--check out Brown Dog, they are awesome and the service from those guys CAN NOT BE BEAT, IMHO.

New transmission mount--unfortunately Brown Dog doesn't offer one, yet.

New header--I like this one: http://www.ineedparts.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=15343 don't use the gasket that comes with it, get a Fel-Pro gasket.

Flex tube section (sample): http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=FLEXPIPE-250x8 cut and remove a section from the downpipe where it runs from left to right parallel with the front axle and before the CAT, and weld in the flex tube so stress is removed from the header.

You need to locate the short in the lighter plug-in and repair it, or run a new fused lead to a new power socket in its place.

Check your o2 sensor harness for bare wires.

Check your main cables especially around the starter area--oil soaked?

Due to how I've only ever seen one of the collector tubes on the manifold cracked, I think it could benefit from a flex joint in one (either) of the collector tubes as well as a flex joint in the downpipe to reduce offroading-induced failure.

I think the cracks in the collector tube(s) are thermal stress related not mechanical/external stress. But then again I haven't been doing this kind of thing for very long.

Back