• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody have the dual A Pillar Gauge Pod?

I had one on my mustang and loved it the only problem is that you loose a lot of vision to the left, you get use to it, but then again it was a drag car so left didn't mean much to me. Great find though I've been looking for one for the XJ.

I had one on my mustang and loved it the only problem is that you loose a lot of vision to the left, you get use to it, but then again it was a drag car so left didn't mean much to me. Great find though I've been looking for one for the XJ.

I had no idea they existed, but ran accross a picture of the single gauge pod posted by xjtrailrider (I think). And just typed it in on ebay and found the dual and single. How hard is it to run the wires etc for the gauges up there?

Been looking at doing this for some time but the Scangauge looks like a better deal. With the Scangauge you get more functions for less then what two Autometer gauges cost. Just an idea.

I had no idea they existed, but ran accross a picture of the single gauge pod posted by xjtrailrider (I think). And just typed it in on ebay and found the dual and single. How hard is it to run the wires etc for the gauges up there?

There's a ton of room in the driver's side A-pillar for wires. I think I ran 5 14g wires and one 10g wire through the channel and the trim piece still fit perfectly. There's probably room for even more in there.

As for ease... I don't know if there's some trick to it that I don't know about, but in order to remove the A-pillar trim piece on my '99 I had to disassemble a majority of the dashboard trim. In fact, I'd like to run another wire through there for an additional roof light but am dreading pulling it all apart again.

Scan gauge also doesn't do transmission temp, oil temp, wide band, etc. Its also relying on the factory sensors and PCM, so you are locked into the possibly inaccurate stock sensors.

As for ease... I don't know if there's some trick to it that I don't know about, but in order to remove the A-pillar trim piece on my '99 I had to disassemble a majority of the dashboard trim. In fact, I'd like to run another wire through there for an additional roof light but am dreading pulling it all apart again.

You remove the rear portion of the A pillar trim, then pivot the forward portion out. Never had to take the dash apart for that.

Its easy to run the wires through the A-pillar. I have my CB mounted overhead so my power and antenna cables plus the tranny gauge wires run through there with plenty of room. You do not have to take the dash out to remove the A-pillar trim piece, you do have to remove all of the trim along the drivers side starting at the back above the rear side glass and work your way forward then there are 2 screws under the round trim covers to remove and it pulls right out. I have the single Autometer pod in 3 of the 5 XJ's just for the tranny gauge.

You remove the rear portion of the A pillar trim, then pivot the forward portion out. Never had to take the dash apart for that.

Did it pivot all the way out (and off), or just out of the way enough to fish wires down the pillar? I took mine all the way off when I was running my wiring, but looking back on it, I can't remember why I did or if it was even necessary. I didn't know how much space I was working with back then but I now that I've had it apart I believe it would be fairly easy to fish the wires through.

Do you mean one of these?

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

Just took it out of my XJ as I went with an internal roll cage and had to go to pod mounts.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Last edited:
Just took it out of my XJ as I went with an internal roll cage and had to go to pod mounts.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Would that have been a Rock Hard Internal cage and if so do you like it?

Would that have been a Rock Hard Internal cage and if so do you like it?

Customer service was excellent, I bought mine direct.

I wanted a cage that allowed full entry and egress without a bar to crawl over.

As the instructions says it is a two man job doing the installation.

I went ahead and purchased additional laterals and will end up tying it into the roof rack when complete.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

My cage is from RockHard4x4 and i would get/do it again in a heartbeat. Great service and a sweet cage. -B

Customer service was excellent, I bought mine direct.

I wanted a cage that allowed full entry and egress without a bar to crawl over.

As the instructions says it is a two man job doing the installation.

I went ahead and purchased additional laterals and will end up tying it into the roof rack when complete.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

How is the visability with the Rock Hard Cage installed? (I have a 99.)

If you have hints/tips or more comments please PM as I don't want to hijack this thread. Thanks for the replies Explorer 1 and Boomhauer. I don't know anyone that has one so real customer comments are alway good.

Next subject!..............

I'm in contact with the "Thread Started" about purchasing the "A" pillar pod holder, so I don't think he will mind the hijack.

You do loose some visual area of the upper windshield and with this the sun visors. With that said, I was surprised how little it really effected my driving.

There ia also a little loss on the drivers side as the thickness or visual obstruction of the "A" pillar is larger.

Here are a few pics I found that show a little of the loss of area of the front windshield:

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

If you would like some other's, or if there are specific questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

OK. Thanks

Looks good.

Any more pics?

Did you figure out a replacement for the sunvisors as they are blocked now, correct?

Does the cage creak or make noise when the unitbody flexes?

Did you paint or powder coat?

I am going to be in Irvine, CA in Mid-October any chance I could see it for 10 minutes?

Sorry for all the questions but it is about $1,000 last time I checked.

Thanks for the reply and info.

I had mine Line-X'ed.
No creaks and no fasteners have backed off in 2 years.
I removed my visors and have felt no need to replace them.
I'll get you some pics tomorrow. -B

Back