• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

really need some help guys

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88xj 4.0L 6cyl auto trans

I was driving and i heard a whine noise, I turned the music off and listened closer and noticed the front end was smoking... I pulled over popped the hood and couldn't find why it was smoking.. the jeeps temp was normal so i was lost. I told my girl to start the jeep and I noticed that the little pulley thats connects to the compressor housing was not moving.
so the belt was grinding on that seized pulley I wasn't home so I sprayed some WD-40 into the pulley the best i could and that got it turning enough to get me home without it smoking again but im pretty sure that pulley has to come out right?
I only have a power steering pulley would that do for replacing that pulley?
and do i need a tool to put the new one on?

The power steering pulley and the compressor pulley are not the same because the compressor pulley has a clutch. I don't know if you can just replace that. You might have to replace the compressor or get a idler pulley and mount from a non-AC XJ. The bearing in it probably went. Was it not turning with the AC on, or was the AC off?

its not the pulley for the compressor i dont think its right nest to it the little pulley at the top of the engine on the left side of the T-housing I think the compressor has a different pulley other than this small thing

according to the haynes manual diagram its called the idler pulley i really need to change this asap so how do i get the pulley off can i use a pw. str, pulley or not
I need to know before i go to the part store so i know if i need to borrow a tool or not

Put down your wrenches, and step away from the vehicle.

~ Stump

lol so typical lol of u guys lol just joking
hey i got the new idler puller man this thing doesnt seem to need any pulley tool to remove it looks like a bolt right on type of thing lol
I sure hope im right though!!!
I got a new belt also... from all the smoking I guessing my belt needs changing.

just remove the bolt.

This is real common sense stuff, I really do not think you should be working on vehicles. If you can't figure out how to unbolt an idler pulley and replace it...

Also please don't tell me you sprayed WD-40 on the belt to make it stop making noise, that's like greasing your brakes so they stop squealing! :doh: you definitely need a new belt, and make sure to set it to the proper tension.

EDIT: what I am saying is that people with your level of mechanical skills are why new cars with 100 thousand mile drivetrain warranties exist.

just remove the bolt.

This is real common sense stuff, I really do not think you should be working on vehicles. If you can't figure out how to unbolt an idler pulley and replace it...

Also please don't tell me you sprayed WD-40 on the belt to make it stop making noise, that's like greasing your brakes so they stop squealing! :doh: you definitely need a new belt, and make sure to set it to the proper tension.

EDIT: what I am saying is that people with your level of mechanical skills are why new cars with 100 thousand mile drivetrain warranties exist.

LMAO only u would think i would spray WD-40 on a belt to stop it from squealing lol no i sprayed it in the idler pulley's bearings because i needed the pulley to move to get me home other then that
I had to figure it out by myself by the time these messages was sent i already had everything out only problem i have now is that i got a grove pulley and the belt doesn't route onto the grooves of the pulley so i dont want to toast a belt so I'll have to go get another pulley

Put down your wrenches, and step away from the vehicle.

~ Stump

I was thinking it!

lol so typical lol of u guys lol just joking
hey i got the new idler puller man this thing doesnt seem to need any pulley tool to remove it looks like a bolt right on type of thing lol
I sure hope im right though!!!
I got a new belt also... from all the smoking I guessing my belt needs changing.

You may be joking but stump wasn't. Replace the idler pulley!

Win!

well there's always a negative bunch right? what am i suppose to do just give up!!! I think I'll just try harder instead.

back to the reason the forum was made!

I change the idler pulley with a smooth one (without grooves) and I routed the belt back on and after starting the jeep, I had to come and ask questions so i can understand whats going on!
I hear a whine noise but the pulley is turning just fine
I notice that this noise is definitely sounding like its coming from the pump
I also notice that the power steering res. is seeping out fluid after leaving the jeep running for a few minutes.
now guys I know im not a professional but thats why Im asking you for help,
cause with your help I can definitely get this running again
thanks again

read a few of his previous threads. Particularly the one where he drove it while it was making a funny noise (after having worked on something that required removing the wheels) till his wheel fell off (then was surprised) and the one where he spent weeks ignoring advice and butchering his electrical system trying to diagnose a single problem while everyone ripped their hair out... all while driving the vehicle to and from work with no external or internal lighting functioning at all. Maybe you'll understand why some of us are glad we live multiple states away and wish he'd stop working on his own car because he's not cut out for it and is turning it into a rolling deathtrap that is a menace to the motoring public by doing so anyways.

I wish this wasn't true, I used to think anyone could learn to fix a car properly.

I would say replace the pump. Especially with the seeping and whining...

Thanks Jeepjoe92 and for kastein's comment I was a newbie, it happens, it took time to know I have to diagnose everything slowly, and with electrical? come on!! without it being said, it takes time and i didnt have the money to get what i needed. when i did i got it and fixed the problem... sometimes some people seem to get impatient.... i understand that but dont take your own faults out on the guy tryna learn! I repeat tryna "learn" how to fix his own jeep! meaning no i dont know what im doing but thats the whole purpose of asking.
(Lord knows I wanna say so much more)

back to the forum....

jeepjoe I research the forum and it seem that alot of jeepers were having the same or similar issues when they didn't tighten the belt enough
Im not to good at judgment calls sometimes... I like to be precise and I havent had the chance to pick up a tension gauge...
so i went back out seem that i was able to get close to 180 turn on the belt.. and i know that was no good so i tighten it up and whine gone!!!! No more seeping!!!! So i think i might be ok
what do u think?

Another Vote for get a newer car and DO NOT WORK ON IT, PERIOD!

A Hazard to everyone, just read the old posts.

Some folks just cannot paint, some cannot dance, or play baseball, poker, golf, etc. and some just should NOT mess with mechanics of any kind. Sorry but that's just the way life is.

Orange

Back