• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank switch

The tank is the same, pump is the same, and the plug for the sending unit is the same but the fuel guage won't work.

91 through 95 will drop in, assuming 4.0L engine with MPFI it'll work great. Only problem will be that your fuel gauge will be reversed (someone did a writeup on fixing this by swapping the fuel gauge in the cluster as well, can't find it atm.)

96 is a bastard year, it's the first year of the returnless fuel system and the gauge sender is wonky as hell. More trouble than it's worth to swap it in. Aim for 91-95.

Nope.

4 banger TBI has a 15psi pump on RENIX, while 6cyl MPFI RENIX and 6cyl MPFI OBD-I are fairly close to (or exactly) compatible.

You could simply swap the pump over though, it's the only difference. Then the gauge will work right still.

rick, why the swap? i actually prefer the location of the pump/sender on the renix years as you can get to them without removing the tank or cutting a hole in the floor. if you need a tank from a renix, let me know.

All the tanks themselves from 84 through 95 are interchangeable. In fact, I have a brand new one in my shop somebody can have for a few bucks. It is the sending units that changed. They went to the internal pump in 87. As noted the pumps were different, but you can just replace the sending unit or the pump. The renix pump puts out about 65# by the way. Be sure to use a new o ring gasket or it will probably leak.

All the tanks themselves from 84 through 95 are interchangeable. In fact, I have a brand new one in my shop somebody can have for a few bucks. It is the sending units that changed. They went to the internal pump in 87. As noted the pumps were different, but you can just replace the sending unit or the pump. The renix pump puts out about 65# by the way. Be sure to use a new o ring gasket or it will probably leak.
84 through 96 iirc, and some of the older tanks have a baffle in them to reduce them to 13 gallons. Otherwise you're 100% correct.

The renix pump puts out about 65# by the way. Be sure to use a new o ring gasket or it will probably leak.

do you know what the newer pumps put out. i will have to check my preasure now. the replacement pump i installed looked differant than the original i removed. hope i didnt install a wrong pump.

It really doesn't matter what the pumps put out. They are regulated. Fuel pressure should be right around 31 psi. If it is as high as 45, you probably have a return line obstruction. Pump capacity is 1 liter per minute

Great information here.
This is not for me, I gave my old red Cherokee to the daughter of a good friend of mine and they are having problems with the sending unit. Since I have the tank out of my '96 I was looking to see if a quick swap would work. The tank that is in it now has a nice size dent in it too *(as well as the problem with building up fuel pressure in the old Renix system tanks.)

Chilton, Haynes = toilet paper.

Renix to 95, 31 psi with vacuum to the regulator, 39 psi without vacuum.

96+ is 49 psi + - 5 psi.

The Renix pump is capable of putting out 95+ psi.

Some one did post up about modifying the gauges, to read correctly, or your other option is an Autometer gauge for the reverse reading Chrysler.

Back