• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front of engine oil leak

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
Took my 2000 xj with ~150k miles on it in for an oil change this weekend at the local garage while I was in town visiting my mom this weekend. Picked it up and drove it 3hrs back to boston. Got under it tonight to see why the jeep seemed to wobble so much in the front end and noticed oil leaking onto the transmission line on the front of the engine. I'm suprised to say the least, but haven't looked under the engine in since before my last oil change by my mechanic about 3 months/3k miles ago. I'm not blaming the mechanic, I just know that my mechanic would have said something to me if he had seen it, so I'm guessing the leak is fairly new. I looked from the top and couldn't find any oil leaks.

Any idea as to where I should start looking for the source of this. To be completely honest I'm super stressed about this since I've dumped so much money into this jeep this year...

You need to determine the source of the oil.

Valve cover gasket, front main seal are likely culprits.

When was the last time the CCV was serviced?

Oil likes to get everywhere when the horizontal or vertical oil filters are changed, but I would have expected it to travel towards the rear of the engine when driving.

Anyway, check the level, clean up the oil--50/50 Simple Green and tap water in a garden sprayer, then carefully hose it off avoiding sensitive areas like the TPS on the throttle body--then monitor things.

Pull the air filter--oily? If so it is a clear sign that the CCV is clogged up.

Good luck.

Thanks joe. Seems like you are always the first to respond to my problems, and for that I thank you sir.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow. CCV - can't remember the last time it was services, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't been in the last 60+k miles. I did buy the parts for it so perhaps I should do it anyway.

Worse case - how much would a front main seal cost to replace if I paid someone?

That is one of those if, if, if, and if questions.

Flat rate shop its time x shop rate + parts x markup = your first born.

There are also extras to consider. To replace the front main seal you have to remove the serpentine belt and the harmonic balancer as part of the job--you have to consider replacing them so you won't have to pay the same labor again in a short time. While you are in there anyway, a water pump is good for about four years, after that you are driving on borrowed time, so maybe the WP and any other belt driven accessories including the idler pulleys should be looked at.

So, depending on what you decide to have done, or what is found should be done, or more likely a combination of both, your looking at 2 hours minimum to maybe 5 max if you add in a lot of extra work.

Back