• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Drive Shaft Problem

94xjstud

NAXJA Forum User
I was doing some work on the front drive shaft and colasped it to make it easier to work, but now I can not extend it. It is stuck closed.

Is there anyway to extend it? Or disconnect the small part of the driveshaft from the rest? Help please

Buy a 12 pack of your favorite cold malt beverage.

Call your biggest buddy, tell him you have cold malt beverage, and to wear his work clothes.

You need to put a little extra meat on it.

You could also get creative with a ratchet strap/come along.

I've been there before. Mine was all caked in mud and when I collapsed it, I couldn't get it back. First off if you still have the grease zerk in it, it wouldn't hurt to shoot some grease into it, might save some problems in the future. If you don't have a huge beer-drinking friend around, I had good luck putting a block of wood or dowel rod against the smaller part of the driveshaft and hitting it with a hammer, to force it away from the larger part of the driveshaft. It might be worth unhooking it from the transfer case and putting it in a vice (if you have one available) as it will give you a better angle to strike it. I didn't think mine would budge, but a couple hits from the hammer and it started moving.

Back