• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac compressor short cycling question

knucklehead 61

NAXJA Forum User
my ac compressor clutch turns on / off randomly when the motor is running with the ac off. i turn the ac switch on & it cools fine but the clutch does the same thing. is this normal or is there a problem with the wiring, compressor, or clutch? :helpme:

ac compressor should cycle around 3 to 4 times on max a minute. If it cycles more than that you are low in refigerant and if it cycles less than that you are overcharged.

my ac compressor clutch turns on / off randomly when the motor is running with the ac off. i turn the ac switch on & it cools fine but the clutch does the same thing. is this normal or is there a problem with the wiring, compressor, or clutch? :helpme:

BASICS--year, engine, etc.

Any chance the selector is set to defrost when the compressor clutch is cycling when the a/c is off?

Ok, the a/c compressor clutch will cycle when the selector is set to DEFROST, that is normal even though the a/c is not ON.

The compressor will cycle on and off based on hi and lo side pressures during normal a/c operation.

IF you don't have defrost selected, and the a/c compressor clutch is cycling on/off and the a/c is NOT turned on, you have a problem.

Back