• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whoa! what was THAT?

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
Strange incident the other day and hoping someone had a similar experience and resolution.
This is a 1990 XJ with AW4. I recently relocated my intake to the passenger side firewall and triple checked to make sure all vac lines are hooked up. I did go out for one trail ride after that and all was fine. Last week I replaced the fuel pump and started and ran fine but never actually went anywhere.

So Friday night, I'm going out on a trail ride with friends, do about 20 kms of paved road and turn onto the dirt. I pull over to let my friends go ahead (they have a topless YJ and it was real dusty) and then I hit the gas pretty hard. The jeep starts moving, then bogs down like its running out of gas (fuel tank was full), backfires loudly and dies. It cranks over but won't fire. I can hear the fuel pump just fine but it doesn't even cough and sputter, just crank as if it wasn't getting fuel. Didn't see anything visually wrong. I eventually disconnected the battery, waited a bit and hooked it back up. It fired right up with no hesitation.
On the way home I had no problem other than the high beam indicator was working only sometimes (it would flicker when I hit a bump) and also the voltage gauge seems to be slightly lower than it usually was. The batt light didn't come on and it was still just over 12 volts, but I seem to recall it usually was higher than that. I don't know if these last 2 are related to the running issue but it makes me suspect some sort of electrical issue.

One thing that has me wondering is that for the first time EVER I put Mohawk gas in (mother nature's fuel - ethanol? :confused1) I always put Chevron fuel in my vehicles but this one time I was in too much of a hurry to go to the Chevron. I had about 1/2 tank of Chevron and topped it up at the Mohawk

Anyone with ideas/experiences?

Back