• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 and 9" gears

userbmx1315

NAXJA Forum User
i know the carrier break for a d44 is 3.73. but i know they make a 456 thick cut gear.
i'm going to 5.13's do they make those in thick cut?

whats the carrier break for the ford 9"?
i have a 77 f150 9" is that the big bearing? 31 spline i'm sure

Is the 44 a HP? If so, they do not make thick cu gears for a HP44. The only reason they make thick cut gears is for the TJ Rubicon, which uses LP 44s.

9"s do not have a carrier break. Only thing to look at is if you want to run 35 spline shafts, then you need a nodular big bearing 3rd member, the stock iron 3rd that came in the trucks can only use 28 or 31 spline shafts.

Not totally correct,the Rubi has a completely different gear set than a std D44.But if your talking Reverse cut gears then no they dont make thick gears for it,only for standard rotation!

its a 77f150 hp d44. so i'm saying its reverse rot.
i dont plan on going to 35 splines in the 9".

what about a lockrite, i have one in my xj 44. its in a 355 carrier. will i need a new lock rite? i havent looked to see if they have a break.

Not totally correct,the Rubi has a completely different gear set than a std D44.

Within reason, yes. Rubicon thick cut gears, use 7/16" ring gear bolts, where as a standard D44 uses 3/8" ring gear bolts. The only reason they make thick cut gears for the the deeper side of the carrier break for non-rubi 44s, is all they needed to do was drill and tap the ring gear for 3/8" bolts instead.

I've been though the similarities/dissimilarities for Rubi/non Rubi gearing/locker stuff when I put a Rubi front locker in my rear 44 with 3.55 gearing.

Thick gears have been available forever(long before the Rubi),one gear manufacturer now sells "dual" pattern gear-sets that can be used with either one.

is my 9" the 2.89 bearings? on national drivetrain it says "FORD 9" DROP OUT. TYPICAL 1970 TO 1986 CAR AND TRUCK. CARRIER BEARINGS"

but the other says that its the 31 spline but years of 57-89.

is my 9" the 2.89 bearings? on national drivetrain it says "FORD 9" DROP OUT. TYPICAL 1970 TO 1986 CAR AND TRUCK. CARRIER BEARINGS"

but the other says that its the 31 spline but years of 57-89.

If your 9" is truely out of a 77 f150, then your carrier is most likely 3.062".

Back