• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which H3 HID conversion kit?

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
I have some 130w KC slim lights right now and would like to convert them to HID to get more light output and pull less watts. Has anybody done this with these particular fogs?

Most the kits seem to be about 50-75 dollars and come with two bulbs and two ballasts. Can I still use the rest of the KC wiring and just hook the ballasts up to it, and that's it? Seems to be tons of choices as far as kits...any recommendations on which kit to get?

Can I still use the rest of the KC wiring and just hook the ballasts up to it, and that's it?

As long as the wiring feeding the KC's are 14 gauge or a larger rating and the lighting circuit has a switched relay to energize the circuit; you should be fine.

Recently did this conversion to a set of Hella 550's and they work outstanding.
Do not use HID's of more than 5000K; they appear blue and actually decrease the brightness....

As long as the wiring feeding the KC's are 14 gauge or a larger rating and the lighting circuit has a switched relay to energize the circuit; you should be fine.

Do not use HID's of more than 5000K; they appear blue and actually decrease the brightness....

Awesome, thanks. Which kit did you go with?

Talk to bajahids.com. He's a member on here, tcm_glx. Excellent service and good guy to work with. I'm running 6000ks in my XJ and the wife's minivan and they still have great light. The light itself has a very slight bluish tinge, but is completely white when hitting the ground. I plan on going 4300k for my next set though. Closest to natural daylight.

I use the ddmtuning kits on my stuff and with a lifetime warranty and such a good price you can't beat it. I run 35w 6000k in my headlights and aux lights on the bumper... They have a nice hint of blue. If you want pure white then go with 5000k if you want a slight blue hint then go with 6000k. Fwiw the 55w hids are supposed to be even less blue so a 55w 6000k would be a pretty similar tint to a 35w 5000k.

I use the ddmtuning kits on my stuff and with a lifetime warranty and such a good price you can't beat it. I run 35w 6000k in my headlights and aux lights on the bumper... They have a nice hint of blue. If you want pure white then go with 5000k if you want a slight blue hint then go with 6000k. Fwiw the 55w hids are supposed to be even less blue so a 55w 6000k would be a pretty similar tint to a 35w 5000k.

Honestly, I really don't care about any blue color. I want the most usable light output that I can get, which I've heard comes around 4500k. I did hear similar, that the 55w kits are about 1000k lower due to the increased watts. I think I will probably go with the 55w 5000k.

Which ballasts did you get. I've heard mixed reviews about the more expensive slim ballasts not being as good as the standard Apexcone larger ones...

Honestly, I really don't care about any blue color. I want the most usable light output that I can get, which I've heard comes around 4500k. I did hear similar, that the 55w kits are about 1000k lower due to the increased watts. I think I will probably go with the 55w 5000k.

Which ballasts did you get. I've heard mixed reviews about the more expensive slim ballasts not being as good as the standard Apexcone larger ones...

I just run the standard starter/ballast on right now and really unless space is really tight I would just run those. Fwiw I have the slim kit (uninstalled) that I got for my pit bike and they look nice.
The 5000k 55w will be crazy daylight bright!

my slim ballast equiped mj has a longer warm up period than any other vehicles in the crew (everything else has regular ballasts). it doesnt bother me as they are yellow, and the warmup is acid flashback inspiring.... some crazy shades of green into yellow!

x2 about bajaHID, tony (tcm glx) is a good guy and allways treated me right.

I'm really interested in hearing about your 550 conversion... thinking about running 5Ks on my Ranch Hand

Are the 55w bulbs longer than the 35w on the DDM kits? I have been reading all sorts of info on a bunch of forums tonight and I thought I read that somewhere. I could be mixing up my information though.

Back